12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2009 7:34 AM by J McWilliams

What is this

gamekid1080
      I just upgraded to version 9 and I noticed that there is an icon on my desktop that says acrobat.com. The icon is white, with a design in the middle which is exactly like the icon for adobe reader 9 except for the fact that the color is red and not white. If I double click on acrobat.com, I see acrobat.com beta in the upper left hand corner. My question is what is acrobat.com?
        • 1. Re: What is this
          It's Adobe's pathetic attempt to get new users for their Peer 2 Peer software "Adobe AIR".

Acrobat.com program ties into Adobe Reader to allow Peer2Peer sharing of .pdf documents. (you really need regular Acrobat to share edited documents) but Adobe does give you five (NOTE only 5) usages to create / convert 5 .pdf documents with this CRAP!

You'll notice in XP's Add/Remove programs that you can uninstall both Acrobat.com and Adobe AIR - but ONLY after you reboot.

What really ticks me off about this is that Adobe didn't even give an option NOT to install this CRAP during the install (I would expect something like the Google Toolbar tick)!!!

Since 90% or more of ordinary Reader users don't use or want this kind of crap I think they have way overstepped their bounds by installing adddtional 'sharing software' without the user's knowledge!

Someone at Adobe must have been on their knees over at SONY!
          • 2. Re: What is this
            MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional
            > Since 90% or more of ordinary Reader users don't use or want this
            > kind of crap

Thank-you for the summary of your statistical analysis. Please post a
            link of your raw data, I'm sure Adobe would appreciate the work you have
            done so that their marketing department doesn't have to redo your work.

I believe Adobe does make a version of Reader available on their ftp
            site that doesn't include Air and Acrobat.com I think they could do a
            better job of making that version easily available to users. However,
            some of the expanded feature set of Reader is only available with Air
            and Acrobat.com. Reader is Adobe's product and they are free to bundle
            it as they wish. You are free not to use it. Adobe bundled Adobe Connect
            with their version 8 of Reader. No choice was involved.

Adobe is moving Acrobat and Reader from its roots as electronic paper to
            a multi-platform information collaboration tool. There are other
            companies that are providing the pure pdf reader technology for people
            that do not want the added bloat Adobe's new software contains. The
            beauty of the free market place is you get to choose.

Personally, I would love Adobe to provide a small efficient pdf reader.
            There are people with older computers that don't have the space to spare
            for the behemoth that Reader has become. But I guess that is not the
            market that Adobe wishes to court.

Mike
            • 3. Re: What is this
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              >I believe Adobe does make a version of Reader available on their ftp
              site that doesn't include Air and Acrobat.com

Correct. A simple and obvious check box you can deselect before downloading anything.
              • 4. Re: What is this
                ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                >Since 90% or more of ordinary Reader users don't use or want this kind of crap

60% of statistics are made up on the spot.
                • 5. Re: What is this
                  MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                  > 60% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I wish I said that :-)

Mike
                  • 6. Re: What is this
                    Actually Acrobat.com provides quite a bit more than just the AIR platform. With Acrobat.com users of the free Reader will be able to convert file (e.g. word, excel etc) to PDF for free. They will also be able to run on-line collaberation sessions (i.e. meetings) with other users. There's even a web based word processor.

So don't discount it until you've tried it!

Les
                    • 7. Re: What is this
                      (Captain_Cook) Level 1
                      On the FTP site (ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.0/enu/), I see four files:
                      AdbeRdr90_en_US.exe 34302 KB
                      AdbeRdr90_en_US_Std.exe 25772 KB
                      AdbeRdr90_en_US_StdA.exe 25772 KB
                      AdbeRdr90_en_US_StdE.exe 25772 KB
                      Which of these should I download if I don't want the Acrobat.com crap? Obviously it's one of the Std ones, because they are smaller, but what are these "A" and "E" versions?
                      • 8. Re: What is this
                        Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                        AdbeRdr90_en_US_Std.exe, AdbeRdr90_en_US_StdA.exe, and AdbeRdr90_en_US_StdE.exe are identical.
                        • 9. Re: What is this
                          Where can I find AdbeRdr90_en_US_StdE.exe 25772 KB for download?
                          • 10. Re: What is this
                            Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                            On the posted FTP site.
                            • 11. Re: What is this
                              pwillener Level 8
                              Or here http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.0/enu/AdbeRdr90_en_US_StdE.exe