14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2011 4:37 PM by JazzRyan

Runtime Error still not fixed in Reader 9

Just downloaded and installed Reader 9 on my Win 2003 server machine.

As soon as I start it up, I get the dreaded C++ Runtime Error:
      "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way."

Then, boom: Reader closes down. Furthermore, I can't double-click on a PDF file name, and I can't open a PDF in a browser. In both cases, I get the same error.

Re-naming updater.api didn't fix the problem. Re-installing Reader didn't change anything, either.

In doing my research, I see that this defect has plagued Reader users for several previous releases; i.e., for years now. That in itself is just incredible.

What's worse: The defective installation of Release 9 just wiped out a perfectly functioning Reader 8.

So... Does anyone know how to fix this annoying snag?

Steve Kobb
      P.S.: Not interested in becoming a Foxit user.
        • 1. Re: Runtime Error still not fixed in Reader 9
          I had a similar Problem, so I began to trace a bit and found out that the Reader wanted to read a regkey at that point it crashed.

The key was HKCU\software\adobe\adobe reader\9.0\crashlog so I tried a bit and got a significant crashlog in my local tempdir.

The plugin where the error was caused was exactly named. So I moved the plugin out of the plug_ins folder and had no further issues with that pdf. But if i try any other pdf from the internet another error occurs in another plugin.

These issues occured on a Windows Vista OS if I open a pdf file via the Internet Explorer 7 mostly when I pressed the right mouse button. Opening the documents via Firefox or downloading and opening directly with the Reader works.

Any suggestions what I should do now, but wait till Reader 9.1 or 10 ?
          • 2. Re: Runtime Error still not fixed in Reader 9
            Nick's Level 1
            One of the few issues with Acrobat 9 that is peeking above the radar is the C++ error when launching Acrobat 9. There are two things that seem to be resolving the issue. One is to uninstall, delete all Acrobat leftovers, and then reinstall. However the solution that seems to be fixing more cases is a new admin user. According to Scott Worthington several of his cases were caused by users not having the correct permissions. That is they were domain admins instead of local admins. The best way to create a new admin user in these cases is to use the "back door" approach of creating the new user thru Administrative Tools/Computer Management. In the Computer Management window right-click on Users under Local Users and Groups and from the context menu choose New User. Fill out the fields at the top of the window and then uncheck User must change password at next logon. After the new user is created right click on the new user name and choose Properties from the context menu. Go to the Member Of tab and click New then add Administrators to the list. Use the "Check Names" button to make sure the group name is correct.If it is correct it will become underlined. It needs to be capitalized and must have an "s" on the end. Click Apply and then OK.
            • 3. Re: Runtime Error still not fixed in Reader 9
              Level 1
              I am preparing the Reader 9 for an enterprise wide rollout, so I hope another method exists instead of working as a local admin.
              • 4. Re: Runtime Error still not fixed in Reader 9
                Level 1
                Well, first: Thank you, Nicks&Becks for an interesting and creative solution to the problem.

I carried out your instructions to the letter, and sure enough: It worked!...

...as long as I was logged in as a Local Admin.

When I logged out and logged back in as myself (a Domain Admin), the same error message popped right back up, as if I'd done nothing at all to fix the issue.

In your post, you noted the importance of having "correct permissions". That got me curious about the permissions available to the Domain Admin Group. I went back to the Computer Management dialog, just to assure myself of what I already suspected; namely, that..."Administrators have complete and unrestricted access to the computer/domain."

So where does all this leave me? Reader 9 works perfectly when I login as a Local Admin, and not at all when I'm a Domain Admin.

Hmmm...

Let's see: Where's that little bottle of Scotch that I keep in my desk drawer? Maybe that will help to clarify things.

Steve Kobb
                • 5. Re: Runtime Error still not fixed in Reader 9
                  Nick's Level 1
                  Hi steve,
                  I work for adobe technical support in India and get these issues every day

Thanks for the compliments
                  • 6. Re: Runtime Error still not fixed in Reader 9
                    Hi

Will there be a fix for this issue?
                    • 7. Re: Runtime Error still not fixed in Reader 9
                      Nick's Level 1
                      We are still working on it, we tried it once but it failed
                      • 8. Re: Runtime Error still not fixed in Reader 9
                        Level 1
                        same problem here with Adobe 9 full pro full version. Lcoal admin accounts are ok but domain users of any sort are not. Very frustrated.
                        • 9. Re: Runtime Error still not fixed in Reader 9
                          I finally gave up! I have installed FoxitReader on my Citrix Presentation Server Farm - and everybody is smiling again.

Find it here:
                          http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader_2/down_reader.htm

And its only 2.56 MB install - and it read PDF files - that all I wanted to begin with - how hard can it be?

Kind Regards
                          Martin O Andersen
                          • 10. Re: Runtime Error still not fixed in Reader 9
                            This issue seems to be attributed to Acrobat (and Reader) 9's inability to recognize UNC paths to the App Data folder. You have to "trick" it by mapping a drive to the UNC path and then having Explorer use the local drive letter for the path to the App Data folder. It's a silly workaround, but it works. But, Adobe needs to get this fixed soon.
                            • 11. Re: Runtime Error still not fixed in Reader 9
                              How do you get Explorer to use the local drive letter for the path to the App Data folder?
                              • 12. Re: Runtime Error still not fixed in Reader 9
                                I was able to get rid of the runtime error by deleting the user's folder in documents and settings. I backed up documents and favorites, then deleted the entire folder. One could experiment with just deleting the App Data folder or the Adobe folder in the Application Data folder.
                                • 13. Re: Runtime Error still not fixed in Reader 9
                                  I was going to try Michele's idea to delete the Adobe folder in the App Data folder but when I looked, there were old folders left over from prior versions. My problem was solved when I deleted them. Wonder if Adobe uses a wild card in their addressing that confused the system.
                                  • 14. Re: Runtime Error still not fixed in Reader 9
                                    JazzRyan Level 1

Change the file association for PDF's from Adobe reader 9 to IE, and let the plugin open the PDF's across the network.  Worked for me.