12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2008 5:35 PM by (bvstone)

Search bug in Reader 7.0-8.0

I have a PDF that when you search in it, it doesn't find all instances of some words.

It will find some, but not others. For example, the word PUMP. Now, if I search for the word P U M P (with spaces between each letter) it will find the ones it didn't find the other way.

Testing searches in other products that display PDF files work find and as expected.

Any ideas, or anyone want to take a look at the specific PDF I have? Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Search bug in Reader 7.0-8.0
          Level 1
          No ideas here? Anyone want to even look at the PDF?

Thanks.
          • 2. Re: Search bug in Reader 7.0-8.0
            ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            Why don't you go ahead and post a link to the PDF so a few folks can look at it.
            • 3. Re: Search bug in Reader 7.0-8.0
              Level 1
              Sure...

http://www.stoneip.com/temp/test.pdf
              • 4. Re: Search bug in Reader 7.0-8.0
                I'm not sure what's going on. Searching for the word "pump" gives me 25 instances. Adding a space between the letters gives me 11 instances.

I notice that the fonts are not embedded in the file. That would be my first suspect. Try embedding them and see if the results are different.

Also, do you know what application was used to create the PDF (was it Acrobat or a third party application)? It doesn't say in file properties.
                • 5. Re: Search bug in Reader 7.0-8.0
                  Level 1
                  Fonts used are standard adobe fonts (courier). These are green bar reports that are converted to PDF using home grown software that I wrote.

I looked at the PDF itself in a text viewer (they are very simple PDF files) and there is no difference between the text lines where it finds PUMP or P U M P, which is very odd. 3rd party PDF viewers have no issues with it and find every instance of the word PUMP. (this problem isn't just with the word PUMP, but others as well).

I was hoping someone could hopefully find a blatant error in the PDF itself, or confirm that it could be a bug with Acrobat Reader itself.
                  • 6. Re: Search bug in Reader 7.0-8.0
                    > or confirm that it could be a bug with Acrobat Reader itself.

Please don't take this personally but it is more than likely a bug in your home grown software.

Adobe applications are a lot pickier about PDF standards than most third party viewers (not a bug but by design). If there's a problem with the way a PDF is created, Adobe apps will find it.
                    • 7. Re: Search bug in Reader 7.0-8.0
                      Level 1
                      No problem. I won't take it personally. I'd like to know what the issue with the PDF is, though. As the lines are just plain text, the same on every line, and it still doesn't find the text in every instance. PDFs don't get much more simple than this one. :)

What could I use to find possible bugs? Reader doesn't report any. And it still works in other 3rd party PDF readers just fine.
                      • 8. Re: Search bug in Reader 7.0-8.0
                        You may want to ask around in the developers forum at http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.eed56a0/.

Good luck.
                        • 9. Re: Search bug in Reader 7.0-8.0
                          Ildhund Level 3
                          > I looked at the PDF itself in a text viewer (they are very simple
                          > PDF files) and there is no difference between the text lines

I tried copying text from PDF to Notepad and this shows very
                          definite differences between lines. The ones where searching works
                          are normal, the rest have single spaces between characters. There
                          are some very knowledgeable people over in adobe.pdf.specifications
                          who'll be able to tell you what's wrong.
                          --
                          Noel
                          • 10. Re: Search bug in Reader 7.0-8.0
                            Level 1
                            the issue seems to be with how do you do bold and normal weight fonts on the same line? Perhaps I'm doing it wrong?

I do one line with the normal text, and another with the bold (since they use different font IDs).
                            • 11. Re: Search bug in Reader 7.0-8.0
                              I have a large document with multiple occurrences of this problem (extra spaces between characters). It makes it impossible to search. All affected words are using a heading style that includes a bold font. An example: additional-data-1 is rendered as additional - d a t a - 1
                              Why no spaces in additional? None of these spaces is visible to the naked eye so when you see the word it looks as if it is correct.
                              HELP!
                              • 12. Re: Search bug in Reader 7.0-8.0
                                Level 1
                                Without seeing the actual data in the PDF, its hard to say.

My issue came from overlaying spaces over the text. So, lets say I had two lines with zero spacing that was:

Text1
                                Text2

It would make you have to search for Text1 wth spaces in it. Which I feel is, well, a slight bug. Why?

1. All 3rd party PDF viewers work fine
                                2. If you're searching wouldn't it search text "objects" (lines)??
                                3. Why if you overlay underlines doesn't it make you search for T_e_x_t_1?

Who knows. I just suggest to users now with this problem to use a 3rd party viewer or not include bolds in their documents that are converted to PDF.