8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2008 11:11 AM by MichaelKazlow

Opening ver 8 PDF files in older versions

We are processing documents with Professional 7, and are starting to receive documents created in Acrobat 8. Each document that does this throws up the pop-up regarding "created in an older version, may not be supported, etc. etc". Is this pop-up embedded in the structure of the incoming document? We have set Acrobat 7 to suppress any pop-ups, since we are processing in an automated setting on servers with no active users. I've selected "Don't show this message again" more than one time now, which leads me to think that the warning is attached to the document. Can anyone verify that?
        • 1. Re: Opening ver 8 PDF files in older versions
          (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
          > . Is this pop-up embedded in the structure of the incoming document?

No, it's just a response to Acrobat discovering it is a newer version
          of PDF.

> We have set Acrobat 7 to suppress any pop-ups

You cannot suppress this. It is a long standing complaint that "do not
          show this message again" has no useful effect.

> since we are processing in an automated setting on servers with no active users.

Acrobat is not for server use. You might like to look at
          alternatives.... what do you want to do on the server.

Aandi Inston
          • 2. Re: Opening ver 8 PDF files in older versions
            Level 1
            Acrobat is part of an automated process that extracts pages from incoming documents, for processing with InputAccel. Our corporate standards mandate that automated processing has to be running as a service on a server. The actual processing involves a Captiva module, which invokes the native file application, then spits out a print stream in TIF format. It's a process that could certainly be improved, but it's what we have at the moment. We have had discussions on working on a more efficient process.
            • 3. Re: Opening ver 8 PDF files in older versions
              (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
              I don't speak for Adobe, but I would recommend that, unless you have
              negotated a special license for this, you stop immediately, since use
              of Acrobat on a server is usually held, including by Adobe reps, to be
              a breach of the EULA. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm sure
              your company won't want to continue in this situation. Check out the
              Developer FAQ for some written support for this statement.

In general, a different license is potentially needed for anything run
              on a server, and such licenses are sometimes unavailable. Checking is
              vital, and not checking can be an expensive mistake that has cost some
              companies millions of dollars.

In practice, Acrobat is also wildly technically unsuitable too, so
              changing now may save much grief in the future.

Adobe sell the PDF Library for server use, or there are third party
              tools. Maybe Appligent's AppendPDF is the sort of tool you need.

Aandi Inston
              • 4. Re: Opening ver 8 PDF files in older versions
                Level 1
                Thanks for the responses, Aandi. We're currently looking at replacing Pro 7 with Reader 8. It's a safer way to go, as the overhead is much lower, the risk is reduced, and the licensing issue is moot.
                • 5. Re: Opening ver 8 PDF files in older versions
                  (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
                  Your response suggests I've misunderstood what you are using Acrobat
                  for. This doesn't affect the license issue, but does affect the other
                  recommendations. Reader can't extract pages, so what is Acrobat doing
                  in the workflow? It may well be that the alternatives I mentioned
                  aren't applicable here.

(Reader, even though free, does have an EULA, which still has the
                  potential to mess up one's plans. So do have it checked).

Aandi Inston
                  • 6. Re: Opening ver 8 PDF files in older versions
                    Level 1
                    The process, in short, is:

Captiva > detects incoming PDF > invokes Acrobat > creates printstream output as TIF (Black Ice Driver)> extracted pages become part of InputAccel batch that can be viewed.
                    • 7. Re: Opening ver 8 PDF files in older versions
                      (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
                      Ah, so you want to print to a (TIFF) print driver. Neither the PDF
                      library nor AppendPDF will help with that.

Reader is just as technically unsuited.

Consider looking for a PDF to TIFF converter (that doesn't involve
                      printing). GhostScript for instance.

Aandi Inston
                      • 8. Re: Opening ver 8 PDF files in older versions
                        MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                        Ghostscript have the advantage of having a very attractive price point.
                        But it needs to do what you want.

Mike