12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2008 12:46 PM by (EddieN)

adobe.com folder opens on reboot

After installing Adobe Reader 9 (windows xp sp3 system), the Adobe.com folder insists on opening each time I boot the computer. I have already tried uninstalling all Adobe products and removing all Adobe components, followed by redownload and reinstalling the Reader 9.
      How can I stop the folder from this behaviour?
        • 1. Re: adobe.com folder opens on reboot
          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          What is the path of this folder?
          • 2. Re: adobe.com folder opens on reboot
            Im having the same issue (windows xp sp3).
            the path is C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat.com
            Ive also tried unstalling and reinstalling.
            • 3. Re: adobe.com folder opens on reboot
              Adobe.com and Acrobat.com are two different things.
              • 4. Re: adobe.com folder opens on reboot
                Level 1
                When I installed adobe reader 9, it also installed acrobat.com. I know they're two different things, but the acrobatreader9 installer installs both programs. It doesn't give you a choice. Acrobat.com is the whats opening each time I boot up. Can't speak for Angie, but she may have meant acrobat.com instead of adobe.com.

Ive even tried using controlpanel to remove just acrobat.com, but it only comes back with an error: "Sorry, an error has occurred" and says to contact the application author. Bottom line: How do I stop acrobat.com from opening up "C:\program files\adobe\acrobat.com" when rebooting?
                • 5. Re: adobe.com folder opens on reboot
                  Level 1
                  What kept opening on startup was a file folder named "adobe.com", and one of the files inside was the program "adobe.com.exe" all of which were installed when I downloaded and installed Adobe Reader version 9.

I was very concerned about the unusually named adobe.com.exe program, but anti-viral software saw nothing wrong with it.

Fortunately, I did find a way to solve my problem, though it wasn't an intuitive thing in any way. In short, I checked my registry using REGEDIT. I figured some bad reference must be somewhere in one of the RUN calls.

I had had previous installations of Adobe Reader versions 7 and 8, and had successfully removed both via the add/remove program function. Also, before I switched it to a different computer, I'd had the full Adobe Acrobat Version 7 on this machine, but had removed it several months earlier using the uninstall. All uninstalls reported themselves as successful, and before loading the new reader version 9, no file folder named adobe.com existed and there was no error message indicating any missing folder. After install (and after twice oding the complete uninstall and reinstall) of reader version 9, the folder always opened on startup if Reader version 9 was installed, and never opened on startup when Reader version 9 had been removed.

Although the update manager from Acrobat 7
                  c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AdobeUpdateManager
                  had been deleted from the computer and from the Recycle Bin, I found, using REGEDIT, that there was a reference to this under
                  HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft Windows\Current Version\Run
                  and when I deleted that reference from the registry, my problem was solved.

Have no idea whether this will work for anyone else with the issue, but sure did for me.
                  • 6. Re: adobe.com folder opens on reboot
                    Level 1
                    Thanks Angie! No such luck for me though. Until Adobe can come up with a fix, Ive renamed the acrobat.com folder to acrobat.old which prevents it from opening when I reboot.

Ill keep checking back to see if a solution can be found.
                    • 7. Re: adobe.com folder opens on reboot
                      I have never seen a folder named acrobat.com or adobe.com.
                      • 8. Re: adobe.com folder opens on reboot
                        pwillener Level 8
                        Have you tried just to remove it from the startup? If you cannot find it in msconfig, try http://www.windowsstartup.com/startupinspector.php
                        • 9. Re: adobe.com folder opens on reboot
                          I have exactly the same problem - window Acrobat.com opens at boot on XP sp3. Very annoying. So, I went to MSCONFIG and unchecked AdobeUpdateManager. The problem solved......sort of.

If you look at the MSCONFIG entry, AdobeUpdateManager is launched by command C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AdobeUpdateManager.exe AcRdB7_1_0 located in SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. I am no expert at this, but assuming that the "location" is actually a registry entry, then it would make sense to look for the command there. Interestingly enough, it wasn't there.

I wonder if the whole problem caused by a previously uninstalled v.7 of the Reader (was there with new PC)? Should v.9 be installed over v.7 or the old version had to be removed first? Should v.7 been upgraded to v.8 first? Hmmm....
                          • 10. Re: adobe.com folder opens on reboot
                            Level 1
                            Thanks for the ideas guys! We have over 3000 pcs here and so far its happening on every workstation Ive upgraded to adobereader9. I think the safest thing to do is discontinue using v9 and go back to v8 until adobe can either correctly fix the problem or take out the AIR & acrobat.com add-ons. Adobe, if your listening (watching :) )it would really be helpful if you would just package acrobat reader v9 by itself or at least give us the option during the install to not install them.
                            • 11. Re: adobe.com folder opens on reboot
                              Level 1
                              UPdate! I found adobe's FTP site where you can download the standard version9 reader WITHOUT all the AIR & acrobat.com stuff!

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.0/enu/

The 33MB version has the AIR&Acrobat.com stuff
                              The 25MB versions only install version9 reader.
                              Std,A,E versions are all the same acording to adobe.

I installed std version9 and it works great for me!
                              enjoy! :)

Jesse
                              • 12. Re: adobe.com folder opens on reboot
                                Level 1
                                I think the problem is not with the Reader but all the other crap they have attached on to the full install package. I installed the full package on another PC and it went very smoothly. No problems whatsoever. Meanwhile on the machine that had the Acrobat.com window poping up at boot, other problems appeared.

I am in real estate and constantly fill out web forms, etc. I would get through a few lines or try to copy and paste some info, Reader would either close abruptly without any notice or "IE must close" error message would appear. In either case, I would always loose all of my work. Very disturbing, to say the least.

My solution was to uninstall everything Adobe and reinstall just the Reader from the FTP site listed by Nichols. It looks all good now.

One last note, the difference between the two installations was that on the one that works ended up having an Adobe.com icon on the desktop. The problematic PC had only the Reader icon.

Nichols, thanks for the FTP site! Everything works good now.