10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2008 8:15 PM by MichaelKazlow

Stopped printing on MAC OSX

I have Reader V.8 on Mac which has stopped printing for some reason on my iMAC, though all my other MAC programs print fine.
      The print is working fine across the network and I can print pdf's for reader on my 2 pC's which are also connected the the network.
      I updated my printer drivers to the lastest versions (Printer= Samsung CLP300N)
      I deleted my printer instance in Printer control area and recreated a new instance.
      I deleted my Prefs and Caches for Reader and reinstalled... and I really cant working out what is happening.
      It's not a post script printer.. but it printed fine 2 weeks ago... and nothing has changed on my iMAC re new updates.

When I print.. my print- there error I get in the Printers info area is "NO PAGES FOUND"... but if I print say Microsoft Office Document.. it works prefect..

Any suggestion.. Look forward to any help!!

Regards,
      Michael
        • 1. Re: Stopped printing on MAC OSX
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          Try resetting your printer subsystem:

Mike
          • 2. Re: Stopped printing on MAC OSX
            Level 1
            Thank you for your suggestion.

It's definitely an ADOBE issue!!

I did what you suggested, which deleted all my printers... I then recreated them, but nothing has changed. All my other software programs print (text edit, safari, MS word, execel, firefox and including Photoshop), but when I try to print a pdf, the colour laser printer warms up... so it gets the signal... but thats all it does, then it just stops.

The MAC's Printer Que Page, it says-
            (Print job)Status - Stopped... even though the icon shows up say PRINTER READY.

If I click on 'resume job', status changes to printing for 1 secs, then it says "NO PAGES FOUND" for say 2 secs, then changes back to status stopped- even though it still saying printer ready.

Also if you double click on resume twice and error window comes up saying- "OPERATION COULD NOT BE COMPLETE - client error not possible"

This is a very frustrating problem, as my printer works fine with everything else... but pdf's are now used by every 1 these days and I probably print more 10 to 15 different pdf files a day.

Look forward to any other suggestions

Help :)

Regards,

Michael
            • 3. Re: Stopped printing on MAC OSX
              Michael,

When you re-installed did you update to 8.2.1? If so, then my only other
              suggestion is to create a new user and see if it prints from the new user.

Mikr
              • 4. Re: Stopped printing on MAC OSX
                Level 1
                Thx again Mikr,

I will now be away for 4 days on business, but on my return I will try what you suggested. Tuesday next week.

Regards,

Michael
                • 5. Re: Stopped printing on MAC OSX
                  Level 1
                  Hey Mike,

Sorry it's taken 10 weeks to get back, but I've been away and bust.

I tried printing under a "new user" !!, but the same result. I cant print PDF's and it's very frustrating :(

Thx for your help Mike... and if anyone else have any ideas that would really be appreciated.

HELP :)

Regards
                  Michael
                  • 6. Re: Stopped printing on MAC OSX
                    Try printing as image and see if that works. If not, I'd recommend
                    uninstalling completely, then a re-install. If that doesn't work, then
                    drastic measures will be necessary.

Mike
                    • 7. Re: Stopped printing on MAC OSX
                      Level 1
                      Hi Mike,

This HAS WORKED...????

Why will it work only as an 'image' print and not as a normal pdf... I wonder..?

Thanks so much for this suggestion.. at least I can now print pdf's though be it in an around about manner.

I don't know if to mark this thread as fixed.. because it's really only getting around a problem... but hey I really appreciate you helping me.. and I owe you a beer (or 5... or 10) ;)

Thx mate..

Michael
                      • 8. Re: Stopped printing on MAC OSX
                        Now that we know it can print, we need to find out a way to get to
                        normal printing. Try to see if there is an older or newer printer driver
                        for your printer. You can also try the gimp printer drivers:

Mike
                        • 9. Re: Stopped printing on MAC OSX
                          Level 1
                          Hi again,

I'm a bit confused.. as I've downloaded and older version of the CLP300n from the Samsung site.. which is 1.2, but at the same time this is their most current version. (The confusing part is I have 1.3 currently on my iMAC, and I don't know where I got this version from)

I also downloaded the gimp-print-4.2.7-0.ppc . dmg .. but haven't installed either of these yet.

I can't find the site where I found the downloadable copy of the 1.3 CLP300n that's on my machine.. plus I cant find the orginal dmg on my iMAC.. so should I change everything install 1.2... with the chance of not fixing the problem.. and not being able to get back...opss I just remembered I have TIME machine turned on... so I will back up and then I can always come back to the 1.3 version.

Should I install the gimp-print-4.2.7-0.ppc first..??

Cheers,

Michael
                          • 10. Re: Stopped printing on MAC OSX
                            Sometimes the OS installs a more modern version than available on a
                            company's website.

Mike