9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2008 8:24 PM by MichaelKazlow

Acrobat Forms - Licensing and Question

Hello - I have a few questions about Acrobat forms. First, suppose an organization has obtained rights to redistribute "fillable forms" (ie: the IRS and the form 1040 and other government or state forms for example). Here are my questions:

1. I noticed that it seems the form will save in Acrobat Reader 8 and not the Reader version 9. Why might this be?

2. Can a developer of software freely "redistribute" those forms in a software package? In other words, an end user can download the PDF fillable forms (such as Form 1040 or perhaps a state form, etc) but can a software developer then download those forms and then redistribute them in their own software program?

3. What is this 500 limit all about? Is it that a form can only be "filled out" in the Acrobat Reader 500 times? Or does the 500 apply to something else?

4. Where on Adobe's web site can I find this information in their licensing agreements?

Thanks,
      Mike
        • 1. Re: Acrobat Forms - Licensing and Question
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          >1. I noticed that it seems the form will save in Acrobat Reader 8 and not the Reader version 9. Why might this be?

A problem with the system that the IRS is using. They need to update to get it to work.

>2. Can a developer of software freely "redistribute" those forms in a software package? In other words, an end user can download the PDF fillable forms (such as Form 1040 or perhaps a state form, etc) but can a software developer then download those forms and then redistribute them in their own software program?

That's between the owner of the forms and the developer.

>3. What is this 500 limit all about? Is it that a form can only be "filled out" in the Acrobat Reader 500 times? Or does the 500 apply to something else?

You got the first one correct BUT, that only applies to forms created with Acrobat Pro using the newly available enabling features. The IRS for instance, uses LiveCycle Extensions for Reader which uses a server side solution for enabling forms. If you can stay under the 500 limit, you can simply enable the forms using Acrobat Pro.

>4. Where on Adobe's web site can I find this information in their licensing agreements?

You'd probably want to give customer service a call. It would be located in the two different product's EULA's which I've never seen on the site (not that they aren't there. I've just never found them.)
          • 2. Re: Acrobat Forms - Licensing and Question
            Sorry. Forgot to include a link that has more information on forms.

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbac5fc/?14@@
            • 3. Re: Acrobat Forms - Licensing and Question
              Level 1
              Question - if the form was created with Acrobat Pro then is it that it can only be Saved 500 times or can only be Printed 500 times or both or can be saved 500 times but printed an unlimited number of times?

Question - is there a limit as to the number of forms that may be created and distributed with Acrobat Pro?

Thanks,
              Mike
              • 4. Re: Acrobat Forms - Licensing and Question
                >if the form was created with Acrobat Pro then is it that it can only be Saved 500 times

I believe it can only be "used" 500 different times. The limit isn't on the printing.

In other words, 500 people can fill it out and send it to you once or one person can fill it out 500 times with different information.

>is there a limit as to the number of forms that may be created and distributed with Acrobat Pro?

Not that I'm aware of.

Just think of the forms enabling feature of Acrobat as a solution for personal use rather than business use.
                • 5. Re: Acrobat Forms - Licensing and Question
                  Level 1
                  Maybe I'm not being clear in my question. First, please assume the PDF forms are distributed to a user's desktop and not web based PDF forms. If someone creates forms say the IRS creates forms with Acrobat Pro and then redistributes them to say 10 individuals. What are each individuals rights with those forms?

Assuming as in the above example that the IRS has the Pro edition or perhaps (might be different with the lifecycle enterprise) also please assume each individual/end user only has the Acrobat Reader:

1. Can each individual print the form as often as they want?

2. Can each individual print and save the form as often as they like?

3. Can the IRS (in the above example) distribute as many forms as they want to as many individuals as they want?

This is all so confusing because I don't know where a link is from Adobe that specifically states what the licensing is with the Pro edition and what it is with their life cycle enterprise option. I don't know where to look.

Thanks,
                  Mike
                  • 6. Re: Acrobat Forms - Licensing and Question
                    Level 1
                    Please let me add the the individual as in my above example would save it on their computer but would then print it out and mail it. I'm wondering how many times in this situation they could save it (but not send it via Email or some other method - sending would be done by printing it).

Thanks,
                    Mike
                    • 7. Re: Acrobat Forms - Licensing and Question
                      Seriously, you'd be best off calling Adobe Sales Dept. to ask these questions. It sounds like you are interested in using forms for a business situation which is almost certainly not what the enabling feature in Acrobat Pro is intended for. The EULA is somewhat confusing and I don't want to lead you down the wrong path. From what I can tell, if you distribute the form to 10 different people, they should be able to fill it out 50 different times (with different information).

The IRS uses the LiveCycle product (not Acrobat Pro) so you should simply not consider how they are using their particular forms unless the LiveCycle approach is the path you are going to take.
                      • 8. Re: Acrobat Forms - Licensing and Question
                        Level 1
                        Actually - the distribution of the forms is done by the state because these are state forms I'm referring to and I was curious. My concern is more on the following:

1. Can I REdistribute these state PDF forms within my software application?

2. Can the users PRINT the forms as often as they like.

Thank you again,
                        Mike
                        • 9. Re: Acrobat Forms - Licensing and Question
                          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                          Mike,

WRT 1) That is between you and the state. Each state may have their own
                          rules.

2) That might take a lawyer to figure out from the EULA which can be
                          found here:

Mike