2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2008 4:19 PM by ~graffiti

An internal error occurred.

Hello:

After downloading and installing Adobe Reader 9 (AdbeRdr90_en_US_i386.pkg) the following error message appears: An internal error occurred.

The message appears after clicking "Agree" to the license agreement.

Mac OS X 10.5.4
      2.5 GHx Intel Core 2 Duo
      4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Thanks for any input.

-Warren
        • 1. Re: An internal error occurred.
          Level 1
          Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional is also installed on the Mac.

As it turns out, Adobe Reader 9 is incompatible with Acrobat 7.0 Professional.

The solution was to uninstall Adobe Reader 9 (simply by dragging it to the trash) and install Adobe Reader 8 instead (I used the installer included w/ Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended).

Adobe Reader 8 functions fine.

The key issue had to do with being able to read PDF files in Safari 3.1.2.

Acrobat 7 Pro + Reader 9 + Safari 3.1.2 = "An internal error occurred."

Acrobat 7 Pro + Reader 8 + Safari 3.1.2 = PDFs function as expected.

Strangely enough, Safari will not support PDFs without a compatible version or Reader installed. Having just Acrobat Pro isn't enough, neither is just having Apple's Preview.

Either way, issue resolved.

If running Acrobat 7 Pro, do not update to Reader 9.

-Warren
          • 2. Re: An internal error occurred.
            ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            >As it turns out, Adobe Reader 9 is incompatible with Acrobat 7.0 Professional.

Where in the world did you hear that? I've got more versions of Acrobat and Reader installed on a few Macs than I can count.

That is very true if you are running Windows.

Have you tried doing any of the regular Mac maintenance like repairing permissions...etc?