6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2008 8:40 AM by (Jim_Dowson)

Defaults to the oldest version 7.0.5

I have a MacPro 10.4.11 and I have installed on my hard drive 4 versions of Adobe Reader. From version 7.0.5, to the latest one 9
      I have found that very rarely will I be able to open a pdf file with the latest version it is always the older version that is able to open the document.

In each case when I have been installing a newer version it implies that it will replace the older one but it never does.

Should I be trashing the older versions or is it better to keep at least the oldest one in case the new version won't work.
      Thanks
        • 1. Re: Defaults to the oldest version 7.0.5
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          I generally only keep the last two versions these days but it doesn't hurt to keep all you want on a Mac.

You really only have 3 versions installed if you have from 7.x to 9.x.

>that very rarely will I be able to open a pdf file with the latest version

What exactly happens when you try? You "should" be able to open almost any PDF in 9.
          • 2. Re: Defaults to the oldest version 7.0.5
            Level 1
            Thanks for the reply graffiti, If I click on a link in a website to open a pdf file it would open another window where you can choose the application to open it.
            In each case I found that the newer versions were dimmed out and the old version 7.0.5 was not.

It seems that now I have another problem, I just downloaded Adobe Reader version 9 and installed it.
            Now when I go to open a pdf file I do not get to choose an app. to open it but instead a page opens up right away but the page is black. So I can't read any pdf files now.
            • 3. Re: Defaults to the oldest version 7.0.5
              Save a PDF to your hard drive. highlight it then Control+click (or right click) choose "open with". What are your options under "open with"?

Also, try opening Reader first then use file>open to open the PDF. What happens?

Just trying to determine if this is a Reader issue alone or if it has something to do with what browser you are using. Which one ARE you using by the way?
              • 4. Re: Defaults to the oldest version 7.0.5
                Level 1
                I'm using Safari. If I download the pdf file to my desktop and then highlight and control click I get a lot of options all of the adobe reader versions are at the top of the list. I can open it that way. Also I can open it from my file>open

However if I double click a pdf file say on Google from a list of search url's it opens up into a black page.
                • 5. Re: Defaults to the oldest version 7.0.5
                  Hmm. Ok. It's an issue with Safari then.

Have you tried deleting your Safari preference file (.plist)?
                  • 6. Re: Defaults to the oldest version 7.0.5
                    Level 1
                    Ok I went ahead and trashed the .plist file and that helped. Now when I click on a pdf file in the Google search engine list I get the black page first but then window to choose an app. to open the pdf file comes up.
                    Of the 3 versions 7, 8 and 9 that I have in the list only the 7 version will activate and open up the pdf file.