2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2011 5:23 AM by Thinkerbuzz

Desktop shortcut icons change to Adobe after new install ...

Hi All -

Thanks in advance for your understanding if this has already been covered but after searching, I can't find a solution to my problem which very well may be something very simple. Btw, I'm a Vista user.

After installing Adobe Reader 9.xx or even an older version of 8.xx, many of the shortcut icons on my desktop change to the (white/red center) adobe icon with access to that program then unavailable as an error message comes up saying Adobe cannot access that program.

Anyone have any idea what I've done wrong or how to fix? After an uninstall of Adobe, the correct shortcut icons return with access working fine.

Thx in advance for any suggestions/fix -

Will in So. Cal.
        • 1. Re: Desktop shortcut icons change to Adobe after new install ...
          Nemuri13 Level 1
          not sure how comfortable you are editing your Registry. Please do a back of the Registry before you do the following:

1. Launch Notepad by clicking on Start > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad

2. Enter the following into Notepad:

Windows Registry Editor Version 6.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe\OpenWi thList]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe\OpenWi thProgids]

"exefile"=hex(0):

3. Click on the File Menu and select Save As

4. From the Save as Type drop down select All Files

5. Change the File Name to Exe.reg

6. Save the file to the Desktop and then close Notepad.

7. Double-click the Exe.reg file. Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, enter the password or provide proper confirmation.

8. Click Yes, and then click OK in response to the registry prompts.

9. Restart your Computer

10. You should be sure to delete the Exe.reg file after resolving this issue.
          • 2. Re: Desktop shortcut icons change to Adobe after new install ...
            Thinkerbuzz

Adobe has come out with a fix for this issue

refer to this link: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86069.html

Hope it will work :