2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2008 7:30 AM by Czajka

What is the best handheld ebook reader to use with Adobe Reader?

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking into buying a handheld digital ebook reader, and was wondering what the best one is to use with Adobe Reader. Are they all compatible or are only certain devices able to view Adobe PDF documents?
        • 1. Re: What is the best handheld ebook reader to use with Adobe Reader?
          (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
          Only certain devices, and some of them need special software on a
          Windows or Mac computer to work.

Aandi Inston
          • 2. Re: What is the best handheld ebook reader to use with Adobe Reader?
            Czajka
            The only one (current batch of eInk e-book readers) to officially use the Adobe engine, is the Sony Reader. Their latest model (PRS-505) allows you to reflow tagged PDF text to the screen, which is an improvement.

I have the older Sony Reader model (PRS-500), and the ability to view PDFs at different zoom factors is very limited - either fit page or rotated fit width (top/bottom of page). The page must be designed accordingly, to look better on this device. 8.5x11 is hard to read.

The iRex Iliad is a little bigger, but has it's own PDF viewer (which probably introduces another set of problems with certain PDFs). The zooming is probably a little better. This device is expensive.

The Amazon Kindle cannot display a native PDF - you have to run it through a conversion process first (via e-mail I believe).