2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2008 5:01 AM by (Sonya_Ray)

Cannot Open PDF from hyperlink in Excel

I have a number of computers that are running Windows XP Pro and Office 2003. We have an Excel spreadsheet that has hyperlinks in it to PDF documents which reside on a server. When the user clicks on the hyperlink to open the PDF, they get the typical security thing saying "are you sure you want to open this file" - to which they click OK. On some of the computers, I then get another message box that says "No program is registered to open this file."

Now, to answer a couple of questions for you that might help out:
      1) This is not an issue with permissions to get to the file on the server. I created a new spreadsheet and put a hyperlink to a PDF file that resides on the desktop of the computer I am working on, and get the same message.
      2) We operate in a Workgroup environment and the user account which is giving the error is a Limited Account user. I have tested the same thing with an Administrator account and do not get the error. So this leads me to believe it is a permissions issue somewhere.
      3) On some of our XP Pro/Office 2003 computers, we have Adobe reader 6.0 and on others, we have version 8 or 9. The computers that have version 8 or 9 are the ones that are having the problem. The ones with version 6 are not having issues and work fine.

So to summarize, the problem is with a limited user account that is running Adobe Reader version 8 or 9.

I am at a loss for how to resolve this issue and have not been able to find much online about this problem. Any help or suggestions anyone can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks