5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2009 2:50 PM by MaineMan

Adobe Reader 9/Mac OSX 10.5.4/Internal Error after installing

Level 1
      Just purchased a new iMac with OSX 10.5.4 installed. I have 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. Acrobat Reader v8.x won't run, so downloaded and installed v9 from the official Adobe web site. When I attempt to launch Acrobat Reader 9 I get the message "An internal error has occurred." I cannot go any further or do anything else. I've downloaded Reader 9 several times but the same problem keeps happening. I also purchased a new MacBook and Reader 9 installs and runs on that machine without any problems. Anyone have any idea why this might be happening on my iMac? Without Acrobat Reader it can really be a drag trying to work with PDF's.
        • 1. Re: Adobe Reader 9/Mac OSX 10.5.4/Internal Error after installing
          Level 1
          Same issue here.

Does your iMac have more than one account (login) on it? If so, does it work on one account and not the other?
          • 2. Re: Adobe Reader 9/Mac OSX 10.5.4/Internal Error after installing
            Level 1
            I am suffering the same issue on both local accounts and network home accounts. I use managed clients (workgroup manager), so the network accounts suffer the worse. I have been able to fix things so it works as long as I am only on a Admin account locally. Local accounts without admin access, first ask for admin access, click cancel, but then doesnt work and must be force quit
            • 3. Re: Adobe Reader 9/Mac OSX 10.5.4/Internal Error after installing
              Level 1
              I'm having the same problem. Thanks to your posts above I was able to discover that my "root" account can run "Adobe Reader 9" but my admin account cannot. It's either a problem with the admin account or the files permission settings.
              • 4. Re: Adobe Reader 9/Mac OSX 10.5.4/Internal Error after installing
                Level 1
                I was wrong on both counts. With the help of the local Apple store, I found a solution. First, I Moved to Trash all adobe related files/folders from /Users/*myaccount*/Library/Cache and /Users/*myaccount*/Library/Preferences. When I started "Adobe Reader 9", I at least got the license agreement but again it failed with an "internal error". I then moved the /Users/*myaccount*/Library/Application Support/Adobe folder to my desktop. I was then able to start "Adobe Reader 9" successfully.
                • 5. Re: Adobe Reader 9/Mac OSX 10.5.4/Internal Error after installing
                  MaineMan Level 1

(Gary_Roger) wrote:

I was wrong on both counts. With the help of the local Apple store, I found a solution. First, I Moved to Trash all adobe related files/folders from /Users/*myaccount*/Library/Cache and /Users/*myaccount*/Library/Preferences. When I started "Adobe Reader 9", I at least got the license agreement but again it failed with an "internal error". I then moved the /Users/*myaccount*/Library/Application Support/Adobe folder to my desktop. I was then able to start "Adobe Reader 9" successfully.

I was having the "Internal Error" message on all my repeated installs of Reader in Mac OS 10.6 ("Snow Leopard") and this fixed it for me. The only thing I did different, was after the app finally launched without an error, I dragged all the non-Acrobat Reader folders inside of /Users/*myaccount*/Library/Application Support/Adobe back to the folder. I then re-launched Reader just to check and all was fine.

Thanks! This fixed my Adobe Reader on Snow Leopard problem.