4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2008 8:10 PM by (behnaz_a) RSS

Adobe reader missing AcroRead.msi

I have a Dell Vostro 1500 with Windows XP and I have Acrobat Reader 8 installed on it.

I have recently had a problem opening the software. When I go to the start menu and click to open it, I get a message that says: "function only works for software that is already installed."

I went to the Control Panel's Add/Remove software utility and tried to uninstall Acrobat Reader 8 so I can reinstall a newer version of the software and see if that would fix the problem. When I try to do this, I get the following error message:

- "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'AcroRead.msi" in the box below."

Similarly, when I try to go ahead and install a newer (or older) version of Acrobat without uninstalling the present version, I get another error message about the missing AcroReader.msi file. I don't know how to correct this problem and I'm not sure how it popped up, as I believe this software was working fine a few weeks ago.

In Windows Explorer, the Acrobat icon picture does not show up on PDF files, but when I click to open these files, they do open - I am just not sure that all the features of the software are working as they should. And I want to make sure the files I create and save are not corrupted so they can be viewed on other computers.

Any tips/suggestions for this frustrating matter would be appreciated. I would just like to get an updated and working copy of this freeware.