3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2008 9:24 AM by ~graffiti

Adobe Reader Penetration Rate

I am looking for a piece of information I have not been able to find anywhere.

What percentage of Internet users have Adobe Reader or another PDF viewer installed?
        • 1. Re: Adobe Reader Penetration Rate
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          What you are looking for probably doesn't exist. If it did, it probably wouldn't be for public consumption.
          • 2. Re: Adobe Reader Penetration Rate
            Level 1
            I am interested because I am a webmaster that uses PDF files. I know average statistics about screen resolutions, operating systems, browsers, and other variables and design my website to take these statistics into account.

If virtually all visitors have PDF readers I can dispense with links and text explaining how to download Adobe Reader. If a significant portion do not, I will know to be sure to include an explanation.

A good estimate could be easily created by anyone through a simple and well-designed Internet user poll or survey. Adobe may wish to keep the results a secret, but surely another entity has done the research and released the results.
            • 3. Re: Adobe Reader Penetration Rate
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              >If virtually all visitors have PDF readers I can dispense with links and text explaining how to download Adobe Reader. If a significant portion do not, I will know to be sure to include an explanation.

Usability studies say that if you have a PDF on your web site, you should identify it as one as well as provide a link to download the proper application to view it.