1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 23, 2008 5:42 AM by (Mark_Salter)

Windows XP Links toolbar locks up with acrobat.exe

Acrobat 8.1.2 1/11/2008 (part of CS3)
      Windows XP Professional latest SP

It is annoying to have an acrobat.exe process for each document I've viewed remain as a running task. Seemingly forever. Acrobat reader is apparently trying to be nice, staying loaded and all, but why one process for each file? This happens whether I launch acrobat from Firefox or a windows explorer directory listing. Since I use Acrobat a lot, sometimes my task list will show 10 or 15 acrobat.exe processes just sitting there, playing with themselves, long after the document is put away.

This would be merely a memory and CPU-hogging annoyance if it wasn't for the other problem: attempting to open a link created on the taskbar's links menu won't work as long as these zombie acrobat.exe processes are running. The taskbar link menu locks up. Once I kill the last remaining acrobat.exe process, the taskbar link opens.

1. The user should be given the option to control if acrobat.exe remains running after closing a document;

2. acrobat.exe ought not screw up other basic windows functions (assuming here that it's acrobat's fault - as I haven't seen this issue with any other software I use)

I'm curious if other users have this same issue, or if not, would care to try and reproduce it :)

Maybe, even, someone has a fix!