7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2006 10:11 AM by (Claus_Meyer)

Opentype and Indesign

Level 1
      How can I edit an opentype font and then save it again so I can see the Glyphs in Indesign.

I can make change to the opentype, but when I save it it is a truetype, I can use this in other programs, but Indesign will not let me see the Glyphs or write with it.
        • 1. Re: Opentype and Indesign
          Level 1
          Hello,

I do not know which program are you using to edit your OpenType fonts, but you need a program like FontLab, that not only edit the glyphs, but the Features in the font as well.

Jordi
          • 2. Re: Opentype and Indesign
            Level 1
            I have used font creator 5.0

Have been to FontLab, but there products all have a virus in the program, when it is being downloaded.

Have have tryed VOLT, but that is to hard for me. And when I re saved a fil, it is still, only TrueType.

But why is InDesign the only program that does want me to write with the font.
            • 3. Re: Opentype and Indesign
              Level 1
              Font Creator is a very basic product, with very limited capabilities.
              It should NEVER be used to EDIT a font because it will remove some
              functions from a font.

There are no viruses in FontLab, if you obtain it from its maker,
              http://www.fontlab.com.
              • 4. Re: Opentype and Indesign
                Level 1
                I just need a SIMPLE font editor, to make opentype files to do "CE" typing with a normal keyboard.

In Indesign I can take the Glyphs one by one and then do some kerning. But this will take to much time. Maybe I can do some unicode, but I don't no how to do this with the keyboard. ALT+0169 = ©, but is this unicode? But then I still need to do a one by one and the kerning in the document. This will do for small work, but I need to do a hole lot of text with "Central Euro" Glyphs.

By the way, www.fontlab.com HAS VIRUS or an trojan in there files to download, my virus alert wouldn't download them. I could turn it of, but I don't want virus, trojan or spyware or what it is.
                • 5. Re: Opentype and Indesign
                  Thomas Phinney Level 3
                  I just need a SIMPLE font editor, to make opentype files to do "CE" typing with a normal keyboard.

No SIMPLE font editor can do that. FontLab is your best bet, but it is complicated to learn.

Regards,

T
                  • 6. Re: Opentype and Indesign
                    Level 1
                    Claus,

could you kindly contact Fontlab Ltd. at http://www.fontlab.com/problem/ and send a screenshot illustrating the message you’re getting?

Regards,
                    Adam Twardoch
                    Fontlab Ltd.
                    • 7. Re: Opentype and Indesign
                      Level 1
                      Looks like my virus program doesn't find the trojan vira.

But how to use Opentype fonts when er IS "CE" type in the opentype font... fx a dash over an a,e,o,i or a komma , under a k,l or n.

How do I use the glyphs to make the font with them in the opentype