4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2003 7:33 PM by (Nepo,_MD)

Help! Cannot make font using FDK

Level 1
      I'm trying to make an OTF font using FDK (1.5 for Windows). However, MakeOTF
      lists the contents of my PFA file and then stops. No warning, no message, no
      OTF created.

The source files for the font are placed at
      http://www.twardoch.com/tmp/otf/sans021212f_fdk.zip

Could you please kindly take a look into it? For me, it seems to be a
      perfectly valid font.

Best regards,
      Adam
        • 1. Re: Help! Cannot make font using FDK
          Level 1
          Adam Twardoch wrote:
          >
          > I'm trying to make an OTF font using FDK (1.5 for Windows). However, MakeOTF
          > lists the contents of my PFA file and then stops. No warning, no message, no
          > OTF created.
          >
          > The source files for the font are placed at
          > http://www.twardoch.com/tmp/otf/sans021212f_fdk.zip
          >
          > Could you please kindly take a look into it? For me, it seems to be a
          > perfectly valid font.
          >
          > Best regards,
          > Adam

Hello Adam,

first turn on "Enable Source Font Type1 Warnings" to see all errors.

1 Error: The GlyphOrderAndAliasDB file needs an emty line at the end or
          MakeOTF gives an error.

2. Error: Your FontMenuNameDB entrys needs to set the "s=" values.

like:

[Sans021212F]
          f=Sans021212F
          s=Regular
          c=Sans021212F
          c=1,Sans021212F

Now you should be able to compile your font.

If you speak German too, you will find also help for OTFs on the forum
          of www.typeforum.de. You are welcome!

Andreas
          • 2. Re: Help! Cannot make font using FDK
            Thomas Phinney Level 3
            Adam's German is even better than his (excellent) English!

I really envy you multi-lingual types. (Pun intended.)

T
            • 3. Re: Help! Cannot make font using FDK
              Level 1
              "Thomas Phinney" <tphinney@adobe.com> wrote in message<br />news:1de6f99a.1@WebX.la2eafNXanI...<br />> Adam's German is even better than his (excellent) English!<br />><br />> I really envy you multi-lingual types. (Pun intended.)<br /><br />:)<br /><br />I managed to have solved the problem. It turned out that I must have had a<br />bizarre installation of FDK that was a mixture of version 1.4 and 1.5. When<br />starting MakeOTF, some libraries reported as 1.4.something, others as<br />1.5.something. After removing every trace of FDK and unzipping it anew, I<br />got all-new stuff (with MakeOTF having the new "Use InDesign 2 chaining..."<br />switch).<br /><br />And now it works!<br /><br />Thank you Andreas, and others who responded!<br /><br />Adam
              • 4. Re: Help! Cannot make font using FDK
                hi adam,

im sure u can help me.

im a novice when it comes to font development. i want to convert mac math fonts to pc-compatible fonts. ive been trying to follow the guidelines on how to do it but i cant seem to have an output. dont know how python works and i dont know if my files are correct. i have "PalatBol, PalatBolIta, Palatino, PalatIta and PalatRom" and some other mac math fonts. so how do i put it in features file, etc. and what is "an outline font" mentioned in the overview? i dont see also the window wen i double-click on the makeotf.py (regarding makeotf.py, mentioned and shown on page 2 of the documentation).
                pls help me as i have a deadline to meet.
                im pc-based by the way. thank you very much.