2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2003 1:52 PM by (Txortx)

fina feature

Level 1
      hiya all,

is it possible to do

feature fina {
      sub n t by n_t.end;
      } fina;

it doesnt work for me. Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

j
        • 1. Re: fina feature
          Level 1
          It would be helpful if you could say what " does not work" means in practice

I hope the following comments help solve the problem.

As feature file syntax, your syntax is correct, and will build a properly formed lookup.

One reason that it may not work is how the feature is applied. I see that the
          http://partners.adobe.com/asn/tech/type/opentype/appendices/features_fj.jsp#fina
          says of 'fina' that;
          Recommended implementation: The fina table maps default alphabetic forms to corresponding ending forms (GSUB lookup type 1).
          meaning that it does only a one to one substitution.

There are two ways to get there.

1) do a ligature substitution first

feature liga {
          sub n t by n_t;
          }

feature fina {
          sub n_t by n_t.end;
          }

However, this requires both features to be on. Since this looks like a an alternate form that it is not required, and requires context, I think it would be reasonable to put in the clig feature, and simulate end-end-of-word matching yourself. This is what we do for end-of-word ligatures in script fonts. It is something of a hack, but in the absence of "end of word" marks, it is the best that can be done.. To do this, you first use an 'ignore' rule to match all non-end of word conditions, and and then put your substitution rules after that.

@LETTERS = [ < all letters in the font that could be part of a word>];
          feature clig {
          lookup BEGIN_WORD_LIGS {
          ignore @LETTERS @LETTERS'; # will match any word glyph preceeded by another word glyph.
          sub c t by c_t.begin; # you know that there is no word glyph before the 'ct' sequence.
          };
          lookup END_WORD_LIGS {
          ignore @LETTERS' @LETTERS; # will match any word glyph followed by another word glyph.
          sub o f f by o_f_f.end; # you know that there is no word glyph after the 'off' sequence.
          };
          } clig;

Since each lookup is applied to the entire text string from beginning to end in turn, an 'ignore' rule shelters only the rules that follow it in the same lookup.
          • 2. Re: fina feature
            Level 1
            Read,

first of all, thanks for your extensive explanation and complete response to my doubt. I think that your question at the beginning of your answer is not necessary because you gave me the solution right afterwards.

Jordi