• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text of mideavel gravestones in OpenType?

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2003 Dec 02, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're planning a book about ancient gravestones in the Sint-Jans Cathedral in Den Bosch Holland. The author confronted me with the following:

During the ages, all kinds of abbreviations were used in the engravings. Some of them can be found in the Open Type character-map, some others are less common I'm afraid. A few examples:

- a "v", "V" and "y" with a dash above it
- superscript "O" with a dash underneath it
- a "b", "h" with a dash right through the middle
- a "C" upside down
etc.

What are the options: Is it probably very costly to have these special glyphs added to a font and it would inflict with copyright too I'm afraid. Or is there a simpler solution in connection to InDesign on a Windows-platform?
TOPICS
Open Type FDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 22, 2003 Dec 22, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if there's a font family that already supports what you need, but I doubt it.

Some type foundries allow modification of their fonts, others do not. It's a matter of checking the specific license. One could also contact the foundry about making such modifications.

I would recommend hiring a professional to do the modifications. Given the costs of buying high-end font-editing software for yourself, it isn't going to cost you much more, and will get better results.

Regards,

T

Thomas Phinney
Fonts Program Mgr.
Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2003 Dec 22, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hello Marc,

The only font I know that have all the abbreviations you mention is Garamond 1530 by Tiro TypeWorks (www.tiro.com). One of the weights in this font is RomanArchaics which contains a lot of archaic abbreviations, signs and accents.

I hope this can help you.

Jordi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines