7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2008 9:58 AM by Joey Morelli

How to create 3D Text?

Oh God, I HATE newbie questions, and now I am doing it. After using AE for years for effects, logo design, etc. I had never had a need to use 3D text -
      until now. I use CS3. I tried applying a 3D text animation preset but it still looks 2D.

I am sorry for being so stupid, but I am on a deadline and have searched threads with no help.

Please advise?
        • 1. Re: How to create 3D Text?
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          Native AE cannot create extruded 3D text, only move 2D text within 3D space.

The easiest way to create true extruded 3D text within AE is with Zaxwerks 3D Invigorator Pro.

http://zaxwerks.com/invigorator_pro/index.shtml

Alternately, use a standalone 3D application.
          • 2. Re: How to create 3D Text?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            As a temporary workaround, you could look into fake solutions like this one:

http://maltaannon.com/articles/after-effects/ce-shapeextruder/

In the long run, learning some sort of "true" 3D program is inevitable if you do this regularly. Maybe check out the free Blender to learn the basics and later on decide whether a commercial program is required...

Mylenium
            • 3. Re: How to create 3D Text?
              bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
              using text as a custom shatter map in Shatter will create lovely extruded text as long as you don't need to get too close to it. Manipulating the resulting text extrusions in 3D space is a question of how well you can drive Shatter.

Fun. Not for the timid.

bogiesan
              • 4. Re: How to create 3D Text?
                Level 1

I've put a short tutorial up on my site that shows how to create this effect using only Shatter, a camera and a light. You can achieve some fairly stunning results with this technique and you can also place other 3D objects in the scene and even cast shadows. You'll find a link to the video tutorial on my site which includes project files.

I hope you enjoy.

BTW - the video tutorial is still compressing but should be up by 2:30PM PDT
                • 5. Re: How to create 3D Text?
                  Level 1
                  Excellent answers-thank you. Also, when I apply the 3d presets in AE, it still seems as if I am viewing the text from the front - the preset does not move the text into the space indicated by the preset. For example, text moving in a circle is very "flat" looking; not nice and elliptical as in the preset. Any other presets where the text is disappearing to an angular vanishing point is also just appearing from the front. I know it is probably very simple to get the results I want(as in the presets) but I am mystified. Thanks!
                  • 6. Re: How to create 3D Text?
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                    > when I apply the 3d presets in AE, it still seems
                    > as if I am viewing the text from the front - the
                    > preset does not move the text into the space indicated
                    > by the preset. For example, text moving in a circle is
                    > very "flat" looking; not nice and elliptical as in the
                    > preset. Any other presets where the text is disappearing
                    > to an angular vanishing point is also just appearing
                    > from the front. I know it is probably very simple to get
                    > the results I want(as in the presets) but I am mystified.

from the "Text animation presets" section of Help on the Web:
                    "After you apply a 3D Text animation preset, you may need to rotate the layer or add a camera to rotate around the layer to see the results of the 3D animation."
                    • 7. Re: How to create 3D Text?
                      Joey Morelli Level 1
                      Nice little tut for simple 3D text, Rick...but if you want Ambient Occlusion, natural shadows & environmental reflections though, a 3D app is highly recommended.