1 2 Previous Next 66 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2009 12:59 PM by javajack1

*** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***

Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
      Adobe have officially announced the upcoming Creative Suite 4 group of products, including
      After Effects CS4, CS4 Production Premium bundle, and CS4 Master Collection.

After Effects CS4 Top New Features

b Live Adobe Photoshop 3D layers import
      Import Adobe® Photoshop® 3D layers into Adobe After Effects® CS4, move them, animate cameras around them, adjust lighting, and composite them with other elements.

b Searchable timelines and projects and easier nested comp navigation
      Locate any element in a comp or project with the new QuickSearch. Quickly navigate between nested comps with the new Mini-Flowchart.

b Compositions exported as layered projects
      Export compositions as layered, XFL format projects that can be opened and edited in Adobe Flash® CS4 Professional software. Many After Effects assets such as text and Adobe Illustrator® artwork are preserved as vectors.

b Integrated workflow for mobile device authoring
      Select devices in Adobe Device Central and automatically set up an After Effects project that targets those devices, with settings that match the targeted devices and the Render Queue setup to output to the proper codecs and resolutions.

b Numerous interface and workflow tweaks
      Work more efficiently with dozens of user-requested changes, including the new Auto Resolution setting that only renders visible pixels when zooming in and out of a comp view, streamlined memory and multicore processing preferences, and more.

b Dynamic Link between Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Soundbooth
      Using Adobe Creative Suite® 4 Production Premium software, now link Adobe Premiere® Pro sequences to an After Effects composition and After Effects comps to Adobe Soundbooth® with Adobe Dynamic Link.

b Independent keyframing of x, y, z values, plus 3D compositing improvements
      Composite in 3D space more easily: Keyframe x, y, and z position values separately, and use the new unified camera, which makes the After Effects camera tool work more like those in 3D modeling applications.

b Cartoon effect
      Instantly give live footage the look of cell animation. Stylize video by reducing the color palette of a clip and by emphasizing edges.

b Mocha for Adobe After Effects from Imagineer Systems
      Use this powerful 2.5D planar tracking application from Imagineer Systems to track the motion of elements even in challenging shots where elements move offscreen or where there is motion blur or excessive grain.

b XMP metadata for asset intelligence
      Now retain asset metadata while you work in After Effects. Add new project-, comp-, and layer-level metadata to streamline project tracking, and automate asset auditing and many other tasks.

Also note that Adobe OnLocation, included in the CS4 Master Collection, Production Premium bundle, and with Premiere Pro, now runs natively in Mac OS X as well as Windows.

Adobe is offering some discounted upgrade incentive pricing for a limited time and/or pre-ordering. Some initial U.S. prices are as follows:

i Product___________________CS3 to CS4 Upgrade_______CS4 Full Purchase

After Effects CS3____________$299__________________$999
      Production Premium CS3_______$599__________________$1699
      Master Collection CS3_________$899__________________$2499

Please visit www.adobe.com for accurate pricing, eligibility for upgrades and pre-orders in your region.

Click here to be notified when CS4 products are available for purchase and trial.
        • 1. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
          So, what does everybody think? Did you get the new features you were looking for?
          • 2. **** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Announced! After Effects CS4 New Features ****
            Level 1
            > So, what does everybody think? Did you get the new features you were
            > looking for?

No, not unless I missed it. I expected Ultra to be added to After Effects
            CS4.

Best,
            Christopher
            • 3. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
              Laaaaame!

AE guys, catch up to the Photoshop guys. You once were groundbreakers, but now you are choking on dust. Please figure out a way to integrate true 3d models, add 3d mesh warping/displacement, and clean up the app.

thanks, and I guess you'll still make a lot of money
              maybe next time, right?
              • 4. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                Nicola Scodellaro
                Struggling as I am with an 8core mac pro that spits a 45 seconds spinning beachball everytime I try to do an audio preview (with one core clogged and the others idle), I hope that "streamlined memory and multicore processing preferences, and more" would reveal better performance when I'm actually working, and not only during rendering.
                waiting tens of seconds to move a keyframe or simply adjust a curve is just unacceptable on a machine so powerful.
                • 5. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                  I'm tracking early articles on After Effects CS4 on my After Effects Region of Interest blog.

Early this afternoon (Pacific Time), I'll post the entire After Effects CS4 Help document. When that's live, I'll post some information here about new features---big and small. I have one post ready for this forum in which I tick through the wishlist items that have been fulfilled by this release.

I know that it's hard to see this before you have the program in your hands, but this version of After Effects is (to me, anyway) less about big new eye-candy features and more about a) hundreds of little tweaks to address pain points and b) new features that make work faster and easier, and c) easier flow of information between After Effects and other applications.
                  • 6. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                    No mention of 64-bit support.

And I agree that AE is seriously lacking in 3D support. 2D rendering of 3D objects doesn't cut it.
                    • 7. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                      There's a list of the big new features in the "New features in After Effects CS4" section of After Effects CS4 Help on the Web, and you can read about every little change to the UI in the "User interface changes from After Effects CS3 to After Effects CS4" section.

But I thought that all of you who have posted requests to this wishlist might like to get specific responses to some of the items on this list.

First of all, though, I'd like to point out an innovative set of features that I think addresses a request that many of you have made... just not exactly as you asked for it. All of us have wanted a better way to see into and navigate among nested compositions (precompositions). The Composition Mini-Flowchart and Composition Navigator make moving around in a complex project much, much faster and easier. Telling you to see the "Opening and navigating nested compositions" section isn't going to do this feature set justice. You'll only appreciate how slick this is when you get your hands on it.

Oh, and we reversed the behavior of double-clicking versus Option-double-clicking a precomposition layer: Now double-clicking opens the source composition in the Composition panel, not the precomposition layer in the Layer panel.

Now, on to the specific responses...

David Wigforss:
                      > I completely agree that the graph editor needs work....
                      > Position values need to be seperated into 3 distinct values that can
                      > be adjusted independant of each other.

Done.
                      See "Separate dimensions of Position to animate components individually".

Mark Weiss:
                      > would like to see XDCam EX import capabilities.

Done.
                      See "Supported import formats".

AndyClarke:
                      > all effects in 32 bit or float

Not quite all. But more are, including all of the 3D Channel effects, which is a category that really needed the upgrade.
                      See "Effects and animation presets".

AndyClarke
                      > prob a really simple little thing but a 'centre anchor point' button could be handy?

Move layers so that their anchor points are in the center of the composition or view?
                      If so, then done. See the first tip on the "Move layers in space" page.

silversurfer:
                      > An intra-project search function that displays properties of every layer.

Done.
                      See "Search and filter in the Timeline, Project, and Effects & Presets panels".

(Plus, you can now use the shortcut FF to show instances of missing effects. See "About effects".)

Thomas Craul:
                      > the possibility to expand all of the effects parameters in the effect controls window at once.
                      > just like when expanding all layer properties or all subfolders with strg+klick (little arrow).

Done.
                      See "Shortcuts: showing properties in the Effect Controls panel".

Pietje Bel:
                      > I'd like to see some features I can use with my tablet (I got it for photoshop, though
                      > I use AE even more than I use photoshop).

We've had features for using the pen dynamics with the paint tools for a while. See "Brushes and the Brushes panel".

That said, we've made some improvements under the hood that should make using a pen better (e.g., modifying the sensitivity during certain click and drag operations).

Darren McNeill:
                      > Simple, I would like After Effects to have the ability to extrude Text in 3d space.
                      > Nothing complicated, just be able to create 3d Text.

How about the ability to do this in Photoshop and then import the 3D object layer into After Effects?
                      See "Using 3D object layers from Photoshop"

invisiblerabbit:
                      > Being able to specify how many processors to use in the multiprocessing preference pane.

Done. Plus other improvements in this area.
                      See "Memory & Multiprocessing preferences".

invisiblerabbit:
                      > I'd love a setting either in the preferences or the output module to write project
                      > information (importantly: the name of the project) into the metadata of the rendered file.

Done. And then some. On steroids.
                      See "XMP metadata in After Effects".

Navarro Parker:
                      > I'd love AE projects to be searchable. Having the ability to search for comp names or source footage
                      > names within projects from the Finder would be fantastic.

Done, as long as you have the means to search within XML files. The new XML project file format opens up a lot of scripting possibilities, too.
                      See "About projects".

David Bogie:
                      > I humbly ask the Adobe After Effects team to concentrate first on fixing anything
                      > and everything that is broken or buggy before adding any more complexity to this application.
                      > Make it more elgant, make it easier to use, make it faster... sure, fine. But invest the
                      > creative energy and geek resources to making it work flawlessly instead of adding more stuff.

Though we did add "more stuff", we also spent a lot of time polishing the application this time. The number of small tweaks to address pain points was very large.

AndyClarke:
                      > I just don't like the help browser.

Better? After Effects CS4 Help on the Web

Laurie Hogan:
                      > I got a simple one. Can AE have Spell Check.

AE Enhancers provides a spelling checker script.

Laurie Hogan:
                      > Also Can there be more integration between AE and Apple FCP.

I give a link to a script from Dale Bradshaw on the "Supported import formats" page (at the bottom of the page).
                      • 8. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                        Level 1
                        If all the new apps support XFL, then my life just got a lot easier. But why do I doubt Flash exports to it?
                        • 9. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                          (Steve_Patterson) Level 1
                          Well, I look forward to these changes. Especially not having to use the "separate XYZ" animation preset.
                          :)
                          • 10. *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Announced! After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                            Level 1
                            > But I thought that all of you who have posted requests to this wishlist
                            > might like to get specific responses to some of the items on this list.

I have one very simple question. To which wishlist should I post my wish?
                            I used Ultra back in the day when it was supported and new features were
                            being released. Since it was acquired by Adobe, it's been pretty much dead.
                            Based on scant comments from Adobe, I had assumed the Ultra technology would
                            be folded into AE, but apparently I was wrong. So, where do I post my wish
                            for new features and new virtual sets? Ultra was not included with CS4, and
                            the Ultra forum is dead. If not here, where?

Best,
                            Christopher
                            • 11. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                              i was really really hoping they'd add some kind of quick extrusion/bevel functionality.

many times i just want to do the most basic of extrusions to text or shapes, and Invigorator is just too cumbersome.

...or at least allow the Shatter extrusion trick to work again (seemed to have become broken in CS3).

also hoping they changed the speed graph curve to be shown like in 6.5.
                              • 12. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                                Level 1
                                Holy Cow!... seriously?... these are the new features in CS4? No real-time audio? No real 3D support? No 64-bit support? We already own Mocha AE (as I suspect most studios do), and we own ToonIt!, which, by reviews spanks Adobe's implementation. No ability create folders in a timeline? What has Adobe been doing the past 18 months?... oh yeah, trying to tie-down AE to their other products. Thanks but no thanks Adobe. My partners and I have been looking at the features of the AE CS4 and I hate to say it, but we'll be sitting out on the CS4 round. Hopefully Adobe will pull its stuff together for CS5. CS4 should have merely been an incremental free update.
                                • 13. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                                  A. Cobb Level 3
                                  There's a lot to like here. The filtering of the project and the timeline window by keyword looks really promising, not just for finding stuff, but also as a more nimble alternative to Shy Layers. And XML-based project files (I'm unclear: is this something you have to explicitly choose when saving? Is there an option to save this way by default?) will be great if for no other reason than that Spotlight should be able to index AE project files now.

On the other hand, I'm not getting any sense that the problems with multiprocessing and caching have been addressed. More options for the MP preferences are a good thing, but they won't solve the problem of my never knowing when starting a big render whether multiprocessing is going to halve the render times or double them. MP is a crapshoot. So much so that whenever I'm in doubt, I just leave it turned off, and this means that probably 6 of my 8 cores go to waste most of the time.

I'm also really disappointed not to hear anything about improvements to the motion graph. The existing motion graph is hard to read and completely obscures the timeline. This is a serious workflow problem for me.

I'd be interested to hear more about changes to the scripting side of things. In particular, will scripts and/or expressions have access to fonts and other text attributes that are currently off-limits?
                                  • 14. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                                    Ko Maruyama User Group Manager
                                    When the graph first came out, I put in my request to have it float in a new window. I think it's probably more difficult to do that than it sounds - I'm no coder. BUT, if it could be put into a new monitor, it might be a little easier to navigate (and you'd see which keyframe you're effecting).
                                    • 15. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                                      Bruce Bullis Adobe Employee
                                      From the Ultra Product Manager:

> In CS4, Ultra is no longer included in Production Premium. In order
                                      > to make the Ultra technology available to a broader set of
                                      > customers, were investigating ways of integrating the Ultra keyer
                                      > and virtual set technology into other Adobe applications for future
                                      > releases.
                                      >
                                      > Customers can continue to use Ultra CS3 by making sure that at least
                                      > one other CS3 Production Premium application (such as Adobe Premiere
                                      > Pro CS3 or Adobe After Effects CS3) installed on their computer. CS3
                                      > and CS4 versions of Adobe software can safely coexist on the same
                                      > computer.
                                      • 16. *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Announced! After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                                        Level 1
                                        > Customers can continue to use Ultra CS3 by ...

Many thanks, but I know how to use Ultra. I've been using it long before the
                                        Adobe acquisition of Serious Magic. And by the way, Ultra CS3 was nothing
                                        really but a repackaged Ultra 2 with a new label, and Ultra 2 was released
                                        many moons ago. It was somewhat of a let down when CS3 shipped to see
                                        nothing new had been added except Vista support, but here we are, yet
                                        another CS release is out, and still nothing new. Bummer. I thought sure
                                        this round of CS4 would include something to show for Ultra. Sorry to go
                                        on, but it's just a huge disappointment.

Best,
                                        Christopher
                                        • 17. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                                          Level 1
                                          Over all, AE CS4 is a major disappointment. I am saddened...

I hope that some serious thought and improvement is put into CS5.
                                          • 18. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                                            really? overall CS4 is excellent. Users who have specific needs might be disappointed because they didn't get what they want in this release, but over all - considering the amount of interactivity between the applications in the Creative Suite, CS4 is a huge new set of features.

I'm a little bummed because the release has made me recognize the inevitable death of PPC a few months before I want to start coming to grips with it, but better=better.

If I already have an Intel machine, the $599 upgrade for Production Premium would be well worth it: After Effects, PremierePro, Photoshop Extended, Flash, Illustrator, Soundbooth, Encore. (plus you also get OnLocation, Bridge and Device Central).
                                            • 19. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                                              I hope the fine peoples from Adode After Effects did improve the CURVES AND LEVELS TOOLS. I suggest if I may: Copy the codes from Photoshop and paste it to After effects.
                                              It is painful and frustrating to even think about how bad the Curves and Levels Tools are in After Effects.
                                              • 20. *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Announced! After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                                                Level 1
                                                Adobe never said that Ultra would be added to AE, so I can't complain too
                                                much in the AE forum. It just seems like such a great fit, Ultra technology
                                                in AE. The concept of tracking sets is soooo cool. Serious Magic was too
                                                small to create a large library of tracking sets, and they lacked the vision
                                                to release an SDK so that third party companies could make significant
                                                contributions to the library. When Adobe purchased SM, I thought, hey, this
                                                is great, Adobe understands the benifits of creating an SDK. Unfortunately,
                                                Adobe apparently lacks the resources to continue work on Ultra in a
                                                meaningful way, and it's been a dead fish on the beach for more than one
                                                full release cycle. Lack of vision, lack of resources, lack of commitment
                                                to an otherwise compelling product. Very disappointing indeed.

Best,
                                                Christopher
                                                • 21. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                                                  TradeWind Level 3
                                                  I'm pleased with the CS4 release. I work heavily on Premiere Pro and had the reverse sentiment when CS3 was released. I saw many new features and improvements in After Effects, with only a few little tweaks here and there in Premiere Pro. Mainly PPro CS3 was focused on returning to Mac compatibility, so not much more room in development for new features and enhancements.

This time around, it seems After Effects is receiving the tweak treatment, but all the tweaks are - amazingly - pretty much all the stuff that users in the forums have been begging for. Yes, some of the stuff isn't worth a full release cycle (should be more like point releases on CS3) but a lot of things are going to be very handy (search functions, flowcharts).

That being said, I am blown away with how Dynamic Link finally goes all the way around for After Effects, Premiere Pro, Encore and Soundbooth (making Soundbooth now actually usable, especially with the multi-tracking and ASND document format). Being able to select a group of clips on the timeline in Premiere Pro, convert them to an After Effects comp with a single right-click selection and then do color grading or keying or whatever in AE while all being instantly updated back in the edit...awesome. And importing sequences from PPro into Encore with no rendering is going to save time and quality...and a little bit of storage space as well.

Plus (should I go on?), the speech-to-text feature in Premiere Pro will help streamline the production of closed captioning and subtitles, very important for government work. Whether it ends up being 95% accurate or 50% accurate is yet to be seen, but in either case it's much quicker and cheaper than the current options. That may be the feature that helps the upgrade pay for itself for those of us doing or pursuing that kind of work.

And Ultra...while it is a shame it (currently) appears to have been left out of the release, I would think it more appropriate to be tied to Premiere Pro rather than After Effects. Keylight is very thorough and very deep for that kind of keying work, and it's already in After Effects. Premiere Pro, on the other hand, lacks anything resembling a quick 'n dirty keyer that Ultra is so handy for. When I'm doing those impossible keys from DV footage, Ultra saves the day. When compared against Keylight with quality footage, however, there's no comparison...Keylight owns the turf. So if it were to be "embedded" in a current product, I would expect (and rather prefer) to see it in Premiere Pro. Other than that, it would be perfectly sufficient to leave it as a standalone application and just allow Dynamic Link to handle the import of Ultra project files to prevent rendering.

So, maybe I didn't make my POV clear....I really am pleased with the CS4 improvements for the production suite. Glad to see one shared interface on everything - including OnLocation. Glad to see Dynamic Link being as awesome as it always needed to be. Glad to see a complete Blu Ray menu creation solution in Encore.

***EDIT*** The other things I really REALLY liked seeing is that Premiere Pro has been optimized for Vista 64 bit (don't know about Mac, Vista was the only one I saw specifically listed regarding 64 bit operation). This will be very handy. Also, batch rendering shared between PPro, AE and Flash...cool cool cool.
                                                  • 22. *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Announced! After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                                                    Level 1
                                                    Christian Jolly wrote:
                                                    > I'm pleased with the CS4 release. I work heavily on Premiere Pro and
                                                    > had the reverse sentiment when CS3 was released. I saw many new
                                                    > features and improvements in After Effects, with only a few little
                                                    > tweaks here and there in Premiere Pro. Mainly PPro CS3 was focused on
                                                    > returning to Mac compatibility, so not much more room in development
                                                    > for new features and enhancements.

And the Mac folks gave Premiere something less than a resounding huzzah.
                                                    AE however I have had hardly a lick of trouble on the MacPro.

> This time around, it seems After Effects is receiving the tweak
                                                    > treatment, but all the tweaks are - amazingly - pretty much all the
                                                    > stuff that users in the forums have been begging for. Yes, some of
                                                    > the stuff isn't worth a full release cycle (should be more like point
                                                    > releases on CS3) but a lot of things are going to be very handy
                                                    > (search functions, flowcharts).
                                                    >
                                                    > That being said, I am blown away with how Dynamic Link finally goes
                                                    > all the way around for After Effects, Premiere Pro, Encore and
                                                    > Soundbooth (making Soundbooth now actually usable, especially with
                                                    > the multi-tracking and ASND document format). Being able to select a
                                                    > group of clips on the timeline in Premiere Pro, convert them to an
                                                    > After Effects comp with a single right-click selection and then do
                                                    > color grading or keying or whatever in AE while all being instantly
                                                    > updated back in the edit...awesome. And importing sequences from PPro
                                                    > into Encore with no rendering is going to save time and quality...and
                                                    > a little bit of storage space as well.

Yes! Finally, the dynamic link goes both ways! This function alone is
                                                    worth it for me. Just click em and link em and suddenly go from slice
                                                    and dice and basic effects to the wide wide possibilities of AE.

> Plus (should I go on?), the speech-to-text feature in Premiere Pro
                                                    > will help streamline the production of closed captioning and
                                                    > subtitles, very important for government work. Whether it ends up
                                                    > being 95% accurate or 50% accurate is yet to be seen, but in either
                                                    > case it's much quicker and cheaper than the current options. That may
                                                    > be the feature that helps the upgrade pay for itself for those of us
                                                    > doing or pursuing that kind of work.
                                                    >
                                                    > And Ultra...while it is a shame it (currently) appears to have been
                                                    > left out of the release, I would think it more appropriate to be tied
                                                    > to Premiere Pro rather than After Effects. Keylight is very thorough
                                                    > and very deep for that kind of keying work, and it's already in After
                                                    > Effects. Premiere Pro, on the other hand, lacks anything resembling a
                                                    > quick 'n dirty keyer that Ultra is so handy for. When I'm doing those
                                                    > impossible keys from DV footage, Ultra saves the day. When compared
                                                    > against Keylight with quality footage, however, there's no
                                                    > comparison...Keylight owns the turf. So if it were to be "embedded"
                                                    > in a current product, I would expect (and rather prefer) to see it in
                                                    > Premiere Pro. Other than that, it would be perfectly sufficient to
                                                    > leave it as a standalone application and just allow Dynamic Link to
                                                    > handle the import of Ultra project files to prevent rendering.
                                                    >
                                                    > So, maybe I didn't make my POV clear....I really am pleased with the
                                                    > CS4 improvements for the production suite. Glad to see one shared
                                                    > interface on everything - including OnLocation. Glad to see Dynamic
                                                    > Link being as awesome as it always needed to be. Glad to see a
                                                    > complete Blu Ray menu creation solution in Encore.
                                                    >
                                                    > * **EDIT*** The other things I really REALLY liked seeing is that
                                                    > Premiere Pro has been optimized for Vista 64 bit (don't know about
                                                    > Mac, Vista was the only one I saw specifically listed regarding 64
                                                    > bit operation). This will be very handy. Also, batch rendering shared
                                                    > between PPro, AE and Flash...cool cool cool.
                                                    • 23. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                                                      Navarro Parker Level 3
                                                      So what new features didn't make the main marketing bullets? You know, little odds 'n ends 'n enhancements that help workflow, but aren't blockbuster enough to mention on the main page.
                                                      • 24. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                                                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                                                        > So what new features didn't make the main marketing bullets?
                                                        > You know, little odds 'n ends 'n enhancements that help workflow,
                                                        > but aren't blockbuster enough to mention on the main page.

The "User interface changes from After Effects CS3 to After Effects CS4" section of Help gives insight into that.

I'm working on a blog post that lists things in a different way and answers this question.

Stay tuned.
                                                        • 25. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                                                          Level 1
                                                          I was hoping for more mask control...variable feathering and the ability to see the keyframes for individual points along the mask.

KMS
                                                          • 26. *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Announced! After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                                                            Level 1
                                                            > And Ultra...while it is a shame it (currently) appears to have been left
                                                            > out of the release, I would think it more appropriate to be tied to
                                                            > Premiere Pro rather than After Effects. Keylight is very thorough and very
                                                            > deep for that kind of keying work, and it's already in After Effects.
                                                            > Premiere Pro, on the other hand, lacks anything resembling a quick 'n
                                                            > dirty keyer that Ultra is so handy for.

If the Ultra keying technology makes it into PPro, that's fine, but that's
                                                            not Ultra. And if I need keying, I have Ultra, Ultra 2, Ultra CS3, and AE
                                                            keylight, so it's not the lack of keying about which I'm very disappointed.
                                                            What makes Ultra unique is the tracking sets. What limits Ultra is the
                                                            limited set of available libraries. Several years ago I began asking
                                                            Serious Magic (and now Adobe) to enhance this product so that users and
                                                            third party developers could create new tracking sets. Years have gone by.
                                                            Nothing. Bummer.

Best,
                                                            Christopher
                                                            • 27. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                                                              Level 1
                                                              So far most things sound like minor tweaks. Not worth the $900 to upgrade as far as I can tell.
                                                              • 28. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                                                                Navarro Parker Level 3
                                                                Any improvements to how expressions are handled? Specifically an Expressions palette or coding window?

If an action (like deleting a layer an expression is looking at) breaks an expressions and it turns off, will undo turn the expression back on (currently undo doesn't reactivate expressions)?

Any nodal expression linking (like Cinema 4D)? Or pickwhipping expressions to code snippet nodes?
                                                                • 29. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                                                                  Navarro Parker Level 3
                                                                  Any better memory handling on extremely large layers? I'd rather have AE spool to the hard drive for a minute than completely crap out of the render with a memory buffer error.
                                                                  • 30. *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Announced! After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                                                                    Level 1
                                                                    > Any better memory handling on extremely large layers? I'd rather have AE
                                                                    > spool to the hard drive for a minute than completely crap out of the
                                                                    > render with a memory buffer error.

I would expect improvement with Vista 64 and more memory.

Best,
                                                                    Christopher
                                                                    • 31. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                                                                      Navarro - - I know where your C4D head is at.

There's no specific Expression panel like XP Editor. I think it's largely because there's such a small percentage of AE users that regularly take advantage of all of the expressions (or ANY).

No expression panel means certainly no nodal editor in an expression panel, BUT if you think about it, the expressions in AE are kinda nodal already with the pick whip.

You can select different parts of the expression an re-address them with the pick whip. (You know, highlight then pickwhip).

Jeff, Lloyd, Dan and all the AEnhancers are bursting our brains with all of the new scripts and expressions they're coming up with. I wouldn't be surprised if they could come up with some kind of text editor by implementing a script. Still, that would probably be "too under the hood" for most users.

It'll be interesting to see if the resources for Photoshop's UI customization sneak into After Effects.
                                                                      • 32. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                                                                        Level 1
                                                                        AE CS4 is NOT a 64-bit app. Keep that in mind. It does support 4GB per instance in XP-64 and Vista, but it still limited memory-wise and it's not optimized for 64-bit rendering. At least, from what I have been told.

While I am disappointed with the changes to AE in CS4, having now seen a number of demonstrations now (in person and in video), I am impressed with a lot of things in CS4 as a whole. And as a whole, I think it's worth the upgrade. If I only used AE and not PS, AI, Flash and DW then I'd skip this one.

BTW, I think the launch video left a lot to be desired and someone who actually KNOWS SOMETHING about the products needs to go over to Marketing and kick someones rear-end. I think the marketing of CS4 is horrible and if I hadn't seen a live demo at my local Adobe User's group and watched third-party videos about features, I wouldn't touch CS4 with a 10-foot pole.
                                                                        • 33. *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Announced! After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                                                                          Level 1
                                                                          > AE CS4 is NOT a 64-bit app. Keep that in mind.

Thanks, did not know that.

Best,
                                                                          Christopher
                                                                          • 34. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                                                                            Level 1
                                                                            >if I hadn't seen a live demo at my local Adobe User's group and watched third-party videos about features, I wouldn't touch CS4 with a 10-foot pole.

Where can I find these videos?
                                                                            • 35. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                                                                              Navarro Parker Level 3
                                                                              Any layer loop functions (outside of expressions)?
                                                                              • 36. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                                                                                Level 1
                                                                                Lynda.com has a couple of minor videos up. I'll try and post some additional links when I get home from work and have access to my bookmarks.
                                                                                • 37. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                                                                                  Lots of video at Adobe TV:

http://tv.adobe.com/#pd+After%20Effects
                                                                                  • 38. Re: *** Adobe Creative Suite 4 Now Shipping!  After Effects CS4 New Features ***
                                                                                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                                                                                    You asked for it. You got it.

an approximately comprehensive, unordered list of new features in After Effects CS4

If I forgot anything, it's because I'm exhausted. I'm going to sleep now.
                                                                                    1 2 Previous Next