5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2008 5:15 PM by A. Cobb

3D glasses

Hey All,

Has anyone seen the Muppet Show 3D in Disney World in Orlando, FL? I know it's over 15 years or so old, but that is the only 3D movie I've seen which does NOT use the standard red-green/blue glasses. Instead, they use glasses that look more like traditional see-through "glass".

I was browsing a website which sells various 3D glasses and it looks like there are 3 different kind besides the traditional red-green/blue ones.

1. circular polarized
      2. linear polarized and
      3. chroma depth

( if you interested this is where I got the info from: http://www.the3dmarket.com/Plastic/default.asp )

So anyhow. The question is, I was looking at AE CS3's "3D Glasses" FX. I know it does the traditional red-green/blue FX, but I am not sure if it can do one which would require one of those polarized or chroma glasses. That is why I was referring to the Muppet Show 3D, cuz that was one of those.

Is one of the options in the "3D View" popup of the FX would require one of the above mentioned glasses? And if so which one would that be?

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: 3D glasses
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          I don't think so. The effect works on re-encoding the color channels whereas for polarized output you would have to reposition the pixels similar to interlacing so the individual phases coincide with the filtering grid. This is certainly more a matter of using other tools. Anyway, I'm probably not the most qualified person to answer this as I've never done it, really and with only 5 or so 3D enabled Cinemas in Germany, chances are slim that I ever will. ;-)

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: 3D glasses
            A. Cobb Level 3
            Unlike with red/green 3D, for polarized lenses to work the two separate images have to be projected through two separate polarizing filters, so there is no sense in compositing the two images together before displaying them.

Chromadepth apparently uses prismatic lenses to separate different wavelengths of light to create the illusion of depth. This means the location of an object's color on the spectrum will determine the depth of that object with, as Wikipedia tells me, red being near blue being distant (those of us who wear glasses can sometimes see a subtle example if this effect by turning our heads with respect to the computer screen). If this method works with RGB sub-pixel-based displays, recreating it in AE would have to involve a depth map of some sort, rather than separate images for the left and right eyes.
            • 3. Re: 3D glasses
              bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
              In any #d project, you must first decide how your audience will view the end result. Then you decide on how to get it done.
              The 3D Glasses effect is an anaglyph illusion. Output for polarization and shuttered glasses is capable of displaying a true 3D space but you must have two cameras in your comp and render two separate movies.

bogiesan
              • 4. Re: 3D glasses
                Lazlo Hollyfeld Level 1
                I'd like to ask some questions on this thread that I think fits in.

How far apart in terms of pixels should two virtual cameras be if I am going to create an anaglyph animation? Does the distance between the cameras change depending on how deep you want the space the be?

I have googled a bit on the subject, and I simply don't know how to determine how far the cameras should be.

Does anybody have any thoughs?

Thanks,
                Laz
                • 5. Re: 3D glasses
                  A. Cobb Level 3
                  There's no fixed number, since the scale of the 3D scene you are constructing is arbitrary. Rather, you need to figure out how many pixels in your composition's world space correspond to the distance between a typical viewer's eyes. And be sure to consider the difference between pixels as a measure in world space, and comp pixels, which are not the same.