6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2008 2:18 AM by Mylenium

Blue Screen Of Death in AE

Level 1
      Recently I rebuilt my PC to handle after effects a little better. I am running CS3 on windows XP 64 bit, however once I start working on a project for less than 30 minutes my system locks up and brings up the blue screen of death. It gives me a "Page_Fault_in_Nonpaged_Area" error. I ran several memory tests (all passed) and even messed with the page filing with no luck.

The strange part is that when I switch over to my dual boot (windows vista 32bit), after effects works fine. Just not as fast. I reformatted twice with no prevail. I am really out of options here. If anyone can please offer some help i would really appreciate it. THANKS

Specs
      Graphics Card: Radeon HD 3870
      Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
      Ram: 2 X 2GB = 4GB
      Motherboard: Gigabyte S-series Ep45-Ds3R
        • 1. Re: Blue Screen Of Death in AE
          David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
          Try getting new drivers/Bios from Gigabyte
          • 2. Re: Blue Screen Of Death in AE
            Level 1
            thanks for the suggestion, but i have already downloaded the latest bios (F-10) and other drivers.
            • 3. Re: Blue Screen Of Death in AE
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              BOSD with AE? Must seriously be something. The only times I can remember seeing this is in relation to OpenGL errors, so my first guess would be along those lines. From the error description it looks like it is not releasing the video memory and thus it gets crammed, resulting in the memory address error. What do ATI say about the matter of running their cards on XP64? do they suggest a certified driver? By all ,eans, if you are using a given combination of settings, try to change it. It's certainly the usual silly small checkbox on some tab that causes this problem, but since I do not have such a card, I cannot provide more concrete advice. Simply give it a try...

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: Blue Screen Of Death in AE
                hurricane51 Level 1
                I just installed AE CS3 on Windows XP SP3 (32-bit) and I get a BSOD also. There is a knowledgebase entry that suggests it might have to do with memory allocations, but since I can't launch I can't try that avenue.

I've removed and reinstalled AE 3 times.
                • 5. Re: Blue Screen Of Death in AE
                  Level 1
                  update: after several windows updates and new drivers, it seems to have fixed the problem. Yet, when i run the task manager, my RAM and virtual memory become filled very quickly when AE is running. But i did get a OpenGL error, which crashed the program. MYLENIUM, can you explain what this is and what solutions can correct it?
                  • 6. Re: Blue Screen Of Death in AE
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                    Well, not sure, what actually the error is. If it's a "Could not allocate memory for textures", you could try to increase the RAM usage for OpenGL in AE's preferences (Advanced button on the OpenGL page). However, AE is pretty stubborn in recognizing this, so it may not do anything. For most other errors, you will have to deal with the graphics card driver's settings on a manual basis, meaning you will have to create a custom setup. That is however beyond what this forum can provide, as it would require to know the exact current setup and driver options... What you definitely can do is check the overall video RAM allocation, meaning how much of it is already used in the initial config. This will give you a clue about how much is left for applications. I'd also completely turn off antialiasing. As I remember it, most ATI cards have the bad habit of having it enabled by default. This might also free up resources. The rest is in the dark. There certainly are ways to toy around with the front and back buffers and drawing delays, but as I said - without actually seeing what's going on, this is not going anywhere. And don't worry about your RAM and page file swelling - this is normal behavior and should not touch upon your other issues. Remember: Each and every frame you render, if only for previewing, will be stored in your RAM as long as this is possible. Windows in turn will park more memory pages in the swap file to compensate, hence the simultanous growth of both graphs.

Mylenium