2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2008 11:54 AM by shooternz

Key framing a simple mask -  causing me grief.

shooternz Level 6
      I am having problems Key framing a simple mask.

I can not change the mask shape on a frame by frame basis. Maybe it is not even possible to Keyframe the mask shape?

I am trying to cover a sign on a distant wall and the camera has a small movement over 20 frames. I need to extend the mask a little as the camera pans. Mask is only four points (Bezier)

Should I be using a Track matte or something else?

I know I can paint it out but I can get a superior edge with a Mask (Mask tool) so hopefully it is do-able this way.
        • 1. Re: Key framing a simple mask -  causing me grief.
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          I'm not sure what might be the problem. What you describe is absolutely possible, so the question becomes what stops you from moving the vertices individually? Make sure to use the move tool to edit the vertices and deselect the mask before selecting individual points, otherwise you'll always move the entire mask, which with the stopwatch enabled will of course make the whole block bounce around in an unnatural manner. Unlike with painting, you will also have to have a duplicate of the structure underneath the layer you edit, so it fills the resulting "hole" from the masking. In your case you need to switch the mask from its default "Add" to "Subtract" mode.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Key framing a simple mask -  causing me grief.
            shooternz Level 6
            Thanx Mylenium.

Worked perfectly for me today and I have no idea why. Job done.

BTW - I used the mask 'Inverted' and I had a color matched solid to fill through the sign.