1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 18, 2008 11:51 AM by Mylenium

Benefits of OpenGL Rendering?

knoepsche
      I'm a bit confused about using OpenGL-Rendering. In my opinion grafic cards only support the realtime display and not the rendering process. Therefor my questions about using OpenGL-Rendering with a rendering network:

Is there any benefit of using good grafic cards with OpenGL2.0 for the render process?

If yes, is it necessary to use a OpenGL2.0 grafic card for each pc in the network?

Greets, Andreas
        • 1. Re: Benefits of OpenGL Rendering?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          >Is there any benefit of using good grafic cards with OpenGL2.0 for
          >the render process?

Depends on the kind of work and the performance of the card. It's feasible to assume that as long as you only do stuff that involves hardware accelerated effects e.g. for color corrections or use hardware-accelerated 3D comps, it might provide some considerable speed gains. However, this will mean that projects cannot be overly complex or should not have software-only stuff that would break the OpenGL rendering. E.g. to use this in combination with nested comps, you'd definitely need CS4, as CS3 will fall back into software mode with such projects. Also do not forget, that you can't have both - if you use the graphics card, any other speed gains of potentially using multiprocessing on the same machines will be lost.

>If yes, is it necessary to use a OpenGL2.0 grafic card for each pc
          >in the network?

Yes, ideally all machines should use the same card to guarantee identical results.

Mylenium