8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2009 2:45 PM by craulmedia

60's Special Effect

DickLTech
      To those older people that were around in the late 60's. I'm trying to produce a background motion effect for a show. This is a background that has lyrics shown in the foreground. I want to reproduce something like the old acid show displays that were shown at those acid concert shows. You know... amoeba or paisley effects. I can add other things from particles and others. But, I'd like to know if there is a way to produce some sort of acid show from AE CS3.

Dick
        • 1. Re: 60's Special Effect
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Mmh, well, can you provide some more concrete examples? I think I know what you are referring to, but I just would like to make sure we're not talking about different things. That amoeba stuff should mostly be liquids with different behaviors mixed and then swirled around in any kind of vessel you can imagine for different effects or squeezed between two glass plates, similar to an oil film lens. Since this is nearly impossible to re-create artificially, I'd probably use the same approach and shoot it for real. you can always colorize it with effects later. For the other stuff probably wild combinations of CC Kaleida and Motion Tile will give some of those funked-out results...

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: 60's Special Effect
            DickLTech Level 1
            When I was younger, I had no idea how they made those displays. I was only able to go to a couple concerts. So... what you're describing is what I'm looking for or something like/close to it. I know that they usually used overhead projectors to display on screens, walls, or whatever. And they (the person doing the display) had control over the shapes/movement. I don't really want to get into the messy stuff right now.

I will look into your suggestions and check them out. If you have any ideas I can use to get started, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm a novice at AE and have gone through Adobes books, tutorials, and examples. I have done clouds, fire, rain, smoke and some special things, but nothing like this. Any help...

Dick
            • 3. Re: 60's Special Effect
              bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
              > I don't really want to get into the messy stuff right now. <

That's how I got started in this business, doing light shows.

What you're after was known among the practitioners as a "wet show." It is much easier to do live and to shoot than you can imagine. The main components are an overhead projector, clear mineral oil, a small drop of food coloring, water, and two clock crystals. That's the hardest part to find. In the olden days, every office had dozens of Seth Thomas or Timex wall clocks. Getting replacement glass for the faces was easy. Not so much anymore. But a simple google search for clock parts should get you what you need. Probably easier to just go out buy two different-sized clocks.
              You want clock crystals because they are parabolic or spherical. Flat plates and dishes do not have the same dynamics with the fluids.

This cannot be simulated very easily. I've tried. The simulation looks fake.

bogiesan
              • 4. Re: 60's Special Effect
                DickLTech Level 1
                Bogiesan,<br /><br />So... I take it you put the parabolic inside up (cupped), put some water in it, along with oil/food coloring, and provide motion (jiggling).  This would all normally be on top of the overhead??  Or are there more advanced technics<G>???<br /><br />Two crystals, so we're talking multi-layering??  Or just 2 options??<br /><br />Or do you load it with the clear oil, add a bit a water and coloring??<br /><br />Looks like fun... we'll see, if I can get it right.<br /><br />Dick
                • 5. Re: 60's Special Effect
                  bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
                  Let's see if what's left of my drug-addled brain can recall the joys of my youth:

When the top crystal comes down, it squished the fluids to the side. Easing up on the downward pressure lets the stuff fall back into the center. It's fun and easy to learn how to control but you need two crystals that nest inside each other although close tolerances are not necessary.
                  Apply small tabs of masking tape at the compass points of the top crystal.
                  Spinning the base crystal creates a new variation.
                  Say you've got yellow water and oil in the base, you can put a bit of red water and lots of clear oil in the bowl of the top crystal to get some orange where they overlap (but it sloshes).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toluene

For the risk taker in you:
                  There is a third density of fluid you can add to the mineral oil and water, the solvent taluene. Highly flammable. Stupid. But it provides s third level of separation even though it can't be dyed easily by the amateur.

Standby, I'm having a severe flashback.

bogiesan
                  • 6. Re: 60's Special Effect
                    (Steve_Patterson) Level 1
                    I want to party with Bogie.
                    :P
                    • 7. Re: 60's Special Effect
                      ;)

will we all blow up though?

:-o

Ric
                      • 8. Re: 60's Special Effect
                        craulmedia Level 1
                        maybe not the desired effect at first look, but an attempt for experimenting.
                        4 lessons on creating an oily stratum

http://maltaannon.com/articles/after-effects/oily-stratum-building-the-bubble/