8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2009 12:10 PM by Mylenium

CS4 AE crashes on start up

David Cherniack Level 1
      The offending module is Sniffer_GPU.exe that crashes and hangs the AE start.

The GPU is a Radeon 3650 with the latest (Oct 15) drivers. It shouldn't have a problem. Removing the OpenGL filter has no effect as it's the Sniffer_GPU.exe that's still crashing. Removing Sniffer_GPU has no effect either. AE hangs probably looking for Sniffer_GPU.exe.
        • 1. Re: CS4 AE crashes on start up
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          What operating system? Screen resolution? Do you have sufficient user priviliges? Does it work with CS3? Photoshop CS4 recognizing the card (in case you use that prog as well)?

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: CS4 AE crashes on start up
            David Cherniack Level 1
            Vista 64, 3200X1200 desktop. Never tried it with CS3 as it's a new computer.

Photoshop also failed to start but the Adobe site has a reg patch to stop the app from looking for openGL (tho one of the entries had the wrong value)
            • 3. Re: CS4 AE crashes on start up
              Mmmh, sounds fishy. If Photoshop refuses to cooperate, something is up... In any case, I have no access to these cards to verify some things, so you'll probably do better calling support than being stuck with our guesswork... ;-) Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: CS4 AE crashes on start up
                Level 1
                were you ever able to find a solution to this?
                i'm having the same issues with a Radeon 4850 with the latest drivers...
                • 5. Re: CS4 AE crashes on start up
                  Not that I'm aware of. I'm really sorry and would like to help, but I don't have the money to buy a new computer every month. ;-) You could provide a report created with this tool http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.html plus a generic dump of your system info (start menu --> programs --> tools --> system tools --> system information) and I or one of the Adobe people on this forum might take a look at it, but that's as good as it gets.

Mylenium
                  • 6. Re: CS4 AE crashes on start up
                    Level 1
                    I was having the exact same problem as the people above...however after re-installing the ATI Catalyst Install Manager, the problem went away, photoshop and after effects open up with out any issues for now at least....I suggest giving this a try.

Im on Vista 64bit with an ASUS ATI EAH 4670 512MB.

Roger
                    • 7. Re: CS4 AE crashes on start up
                      Level 1
                      I have got the same problem as the people above. I have problem with Adobe After Effecys CS4, Adobe Photoshop Extendend CS4 and Adobe Pixel Bender Toolkit. When I want to start up a After Effects and Photoshop I get the massage about the problem with "sniffer_gpu.exe", but when I start up the Pixel Tollkit get the massage about the problem with "pixel_bender_toolkit.exe".

Please help me!!!

I have got Windows XP Proffesional with Service Pack 3 with an ASUS GeForce 8800GT 1Gb
                      • 8. Re: CS4 AE crashes on start up
                        Please install the latest NVidia driver. Both messages state a complete failure in initializing any hardware-related functions, which means something is seriously misconfigured on your system. If you have customized any driver settings, reset them to the factory defaults and see if it makes any difference.

Mylenium