2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2008 11:47 PM by Mylenium

Blending Mode Inside Composition

I have CS4 AE. I imported a layered PSD file which brought in all my layers, in addition to automatically making a composition out of all the layer groups. So far so good. However, why is my multiply blend mode on one of the many layers not honored when inside of these group layer compositions? When I open up the composition itself with all the individual layers, the multiply blend mode is indeed assigned.

If I put into the timeline just the individual layer with the multiply, it works. It doesn't when inside of those automatic group layer comps.

Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Blending Mode Inside Composition
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          Blending modes don't "pass through" compositions automatically - they only blend within the composition that they sit in.

If you turn on the "Collapse Transformations" switch for the precomp layer, the blending will then be honoured in the upper comp, but it may have some other unpredictable results, particularly if you are using 3D and cameras.
          • 2. Re: Blending Mode Inside Composition
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            >However, why is my multiply blend mode on one of the many layers not
            >honored when inside of these group layer compositions?

Because AE is not Photoshop! Just like Andrew said, you need to tell AE to pass through blending modes. The principle is simply reversed - in AE you turn this off when you tweak the group blend properties, in AE you need to explicitly turn it on.

Mylenium