8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2008 3:13 PM by bogiesan-gyyClL Branched to a new discussion.

Ae to SWF

Hello Everyone,

I just found out that an animation I created in AE is supposed to be exported as an swf, 50k max size, with the URL hard-coded in the file. I know how to export a fla and play with the size setting as well as how to ad a marker that creates a link, but how do I hard-code a URL? How do I get the file size down without loosing quality? I don't have/know flash, unfortunately. Any tips are GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

H
        • 1. Re: Ae to SWF
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          What type of URL/ link? I don't really understand. Do you mean any site-specific internal references or just normal page links? The latter Flash Player will automatically open in a new window/tab or the current one, depending on your browser and player settings. For other links you may need to know the exact Action Script code to insert to your marker.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Ae to SWF
            bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
            You can only get an After Effects project to that size if it's all vectors. Any effect or lyaer that requires image bitmapping or rasterization will simply explode the file size to normal video expectations.

going out on a limb here, I'm going to suggest that your project must be totally scrapped. it was probably designed to be video, not swf, and your Flash people don't have the slightest idea of what video really is.

bogiesan
            • 3. Re: Ae to SWF
              Level 1
              Thanks David and Mylenium,

The whole piece is made from animated vectos and 2 placed images. I'm really hoping this piece doesn't have to be scrapped as their is a deadline involved.

I was sent an e-mail this morning that they can also work with .jpg and .gif's. I'm wondering is a swf won't work if I could render out the animation as a series of jpg's?

Thank you for your help!

H
              • 4. Re: Ae to SWF
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                Rendering a PNG or JPEG sequence should work just fine, if they have Flash. They should have no trouble importing it and then adding their own code.

Mylenium
                • 5. Re: Ae to SWF
                  Level 1
                  Thanks Mylenium. I also suddenly realized that I could use sorenson squeeze. I'm going to fiddle with both.

Thanks again!!!

H
                  • 6. Re: Ae to SWF
                    bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
                    > The whole piece is made from animated vectos and 2 placed images. I'm really hoping this piece doesn't have to be scrapped as their is a deadline involved. <

They're not going to be happy with the file size no matter what you do. The images force all of the vectors to rasterize.

although Mylenium always has the correct answers around here, I will suggest this might work: export two separate movies, one as SWF that contains only your vector layers and another as QT (or whatever) that contains only the images

I wish you luck but it's clear to me your client is clueless about the distinctions between "video" and Flash animation.

Please come back in a few days and tell us how you made out. I'd like to know I was wrong.

bogiesan
                    • 7. Re: Ae to SWF
                      Level 1
                      Hey Everyone,

I tried compressing and hard coding with sorenson. It worked fine, but I cou'ldn't get the files size small enough. So i ended up having to pay someone to recreate the ad in flash...It was a great lesson though. You can go from AE to swf butI wasn't able to get the files size under 300k and still looking clear and sharp.

Thank you to everyone for all the feedback and help!

H
                      • 8. Re: Ae to SWF
                        bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
                        Thanks for closing the thread, Heather, hardly anyone ever does that around here. It's really good karma.

bogiesan