5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2008 10:56 PM by Mylenium

CS4 Upgrade Pricing Question

Level 1
      Why is it that I paid to upgrade from Version 7 to CS3 a few months back, and now I have to pay just as much as anyone owning Version 6 or Version 7 would to upgrade to CS4? While that's great for those that chose NOT to send money to Adobe for incremental upgrades since Version 6 it's pretty much a slap in the face to those of us who did. It seems that there should be a tiered pricing schedule based on the version that you're upgrading. And - yes - this issue will be discussed in other forums globally.
        • 1. Re: CS4 Upgrade Pricing Question
          David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
          But then again, you were able to run CS3 while those that didn't upgrade couldn't.. I'd much rather pay the same upgrade price than not be able to upgrade if I owned a copy 2 versions old (like another company that just bought XSI....)

Sorry, I disagree with you.
          • 2. Re: CS4 Upgrade Pricing Question
            Level 1
            Hi David,

I agree with your position that if you didn't already have the CS3 level you certainly would appreciate the fact that you could upgrade fairly inexpensively... who wouldn't? My point is not to raise the price to those upgrading to CS4 from lower levels, but to lower the price to those that have religiously paid for each and every increment as a consideration to both a marketing and customer loyalty perspective. Otherwise, Adobe is breeding the notion that if you wait and don't buy each increment (in which case Adobe loses money in the long run) then you can get it later for much, much less. As for me... from now on, I'm going to wait...

Cheers!
            • 3. Re: CS4 Upgrade Pricing Question
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              Paul, forgive me for saying this, but you really never have been "slapped in the face", trust me. While Adobe's upgrade policies are confusing on occasion and may appear unfair to some users, they are much better than what most other software vendors do - from 3D programs to accounting software, there are literally entire armies of companies who force yearly upgrades or maintenance contracts upon their users if they don't want to forfeit their "upgrade privileges" (which in essence means: if you don't buy the upgrade, you will have to buy a new full license next time). And honestly, it doesn't matter if they are called Autodesk, Maxon, SAP or whoever springs to mind. So while it may bite you in your behind, take it with a smile on your face. If you don't have an urgent requirement for some of CS4's features like support for specific media formats you may use, Photoshop Live 3D, Dynmaic Link and others or if you don't lust for a "discounted" copy of mochaAE (which by itself will be superceded by mochaAE 2 from Imagineer themselves soon-ish), you can be very happy with CS3, probably until CS5 comes out in two years. So look on the bright side. ;-)

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: CS4 Upgrade Pricing Question
                Level 1
                I know what you're saying, Mylenium. I've been there many times, and each time it's a learning experience. But, I also believe that manufacturers are usually more eager to hear feedback - both positive and negative - than to look at their spreadsheets months later to find that sales have plummeted for some reason. It's important to get their attention and rattle the cage a bit to wake them up to these issues... or, I could just walk away... silently... peacefully... ...yawn... ; )
                • 5. Re: CS4 Upgrade Pricing Question
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                  I grant you that - after all, Adobe is still a company that needs to make money. However, sales "plummeting" also always offers the opportunity for end-users to strike even better deals, so by all right's, it's quite possible that in a few months' time you may find a reseller that will give you a CS4 upgrade and throws in a few very useful plugins or gives you a second discounted Adobe program on top of it... So many opportunities. i tend to believe that sometimes patience and a little procrastination of upgrades cvan pay off. ;-)

Mylenium