13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2008 9:56 AM by Mylenium

CS4 Motion Blur---Something is wrong

Level 1
      I tried to rerender a CS3 project today in CS4 and found that the sequence (mostly moving type) no longer rendered correctly---some of the type was strangely shaky and too blurry (even while not moving) and other layers had no blur.

Opened the same project in CS3 and rendered the SAME sequence without these issues.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Lance Moody
        • 1. Re: CS4 Motion Blur---Something is wrong
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Can you provide some more info and comparative screen shots? My guess is that due to the new auto-res feature some of your nesting logic may be thrown off. There's a know issue where resolutions will not be correctly inherited sometimes because the "retain resolution of nested items" preference setting does not kick in. Other than that layer styles could be out of whack or the new pixel aspect ratios for square equivalent comps have some odd side effect...

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: CS4 Motion Blur---Something is wrong
            Level 1
            Thanks for the quick reply. Are there work-arounds for the issue you described above?

I posted example frames here:

http://homepage.mac.com/lancemoody/examples.jpg

The top is from CS3. Bottom is CS4.

The "fields of" type is sliding in from the right and has just stopped.

These are from render to animation codec.

Oddly problem does not show in RAM Preview.

Thanks for any help!

Lance
            • 3. Re: CS4 Motion Blur---Something is wrong
              For the comp res issue, you will have to go into each and every sub-comp and enable "Auto" in the resolution dropdown. I#m just wondering... You should definitely see this in RAM previews as well, so something else must be wrong. Are you using any render overrides? Do you set your renders always to "Best Settings" as opposed to "Current Settings"?

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: CS4 Motion Blur---Something is wrong
                Level 1
                Hi again and thanks,

The comp here does not contain nested comps--just text layers (which are what you see in the example). When you mention the resolution drop down, are you referring to the preview window resolution? This shouldn't affect renders.

Some are 3D.

Also I am using best settings for render.

To be clear there are two problems I see after render:

1. The weird blurry low-rez text on some layers.

2. The loss of motion blur on others (even though MB is checked on for layer and comp).

Additionally after opening other comps, I notice that certain layers are no longer positioned correctly in 3D space.

This is distressing because sure as hell in a year or two someone will want to revise these spots and there are so many things wrong with them that this would not be trivial. I suppose I can keep CS3 on my machine--god knows unpaid updates for CS products are hard to come by. This is FOR SURE a bug.

lance
                • 5. Re: CS4 Motion Blur---Something is wrong
                  Level 1
                  Doing further testing, I see that turning OpenGL rendering off does no good.
                  I still get a mixture of some layers with and some without motion blur and I also get that weird blurry render on some layers.

All of these are spots that render perfectly under CS3 (and are on the air now).

Thanks again,

Lance
                  • 6. Re: CS4 Motion Blur---Something is wrong
                    Level 1
                    Further experimentation:

Completely removing the Open GL plug in fixes almost all the problems. However, I am still seeing text that is not positioned properly in 3D...

To be clear:

Turning off openGL rendering is not enough if you are seeing this problem. You must also use the ultra elegant Adobe solution of actually removing the plug-in as well.

One must wonder just what the Open GL implementation could be good for? Other than for saying it's a new feature in the very expensive CS4 upgrade! In CS5 it might actually work!

Lance
                    • 7. Re: CS4 Motion Blur---Something is wrong
                      Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                      Note that, even with OpenGL turned off, you can still use OpenGL rendering. So, just to confirm, you're saying that you are definitely NOT using OpenGL to render, but removing the plugin from AE CS4 eliminates the problems?
                      • 8. Re: CS4 Motion Blur---Something is wrong
                        Level 1
                        Hi Andrew,

My renders with OpenGL turned off in the output render module and also with the OpenGL plugin removed (both things together), did not have the problems mentioned above.

Since this is likely related to video card, I should mention that I am using a Radeon X1900XT.

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks,

Lance
                        • 9. Re: CS4 Motion Blur---Something is wrong
                          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                          Try putting the OpenGL plugin back, but keep the "Use OpenGL Renderer" checkbox UNchecked in the Render Settings in the Render Queue.

It certainly sounds like your Video Card's OpenGL drivers are misbehaving - not Adobe's fault, per se.

OpenGL is really only useful for previews, and even then only in certain circumstances. You should never render with it unless there's a specific reason.
                          • 10. Re: CS4 Motion Blur---Something is wrong
                            Yes, I'm with Andrew on that one. The X1900 has been around long enough to be covered during prerelease testing, so there is most likely a misconfiguration. The "texture" degeneration in the text layers would point to the card thinking it is short on memory and thus downsampling stuff. If you can, reset all your graphics card settings and install a newer driver. And for the usefulness of OpenGL: I agree on some parts, but not necessarily all. It can be useful, Adobe just chose the wrong strategy to implement it in my opinion.

Mylenium
                            • 11. Re: CS4 Motion Blur---Something is wrong
                              Level 1
                              Hi Again,

Sorry I was unclear earlier.

Here is what I have tested:

1. With the plug-in installed and OpenGL rendering turned off---PROBLEM AS DESCRIBED.
                              2. Plug In removed and OpenGL rendering turned off--NO PROBLEM (except perhaps unrelated 3D positioning errors)

Is that clearer?

Thanks,

Lance
                              • 12. Re: CS4 Motion Blur---Something is wrong
                                akribie Level 2
                                On another thread there is a suggestion that Open GL remains active even after turning it off in CS4. Maybe that is why you need to remove the plugin to kill it? It would be worth submitting a bug report to give them this possible alternative indication of the same issue.
                                • 13. Re: CS4 Motion Blur---Something is wrong
                                  Yes, bug reports are the best way to make sure potential issues get fixed. ;-) OpenGL in CS4 will only stay active in so far that it is used by PixelBender, but that architecture is decoupled from the other stuff, so it cannot be made responsible for the problems. It would only matter, if indeed you were using PixelBender effects...

Mylenium