3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2008 4:19 AM by Mylenium

CRUMBLE PAPER ON SCREEN EFFECT?

Level 1
      i'm basically trying to make an effect where a hand can push multiple pictures around on screen and then they can literally look like they just crumbled a picture/paper and pulled it right off the screen and just threw it away. so imagine the microsoft surface screen (http://www.microsoft.com/surface/videos.html#gid=demos&vid=d2 look at the video at -0:28) filled with pictures and then you could just crumble one in your hand and throw it away like in the hp commercial (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8278176369091276795 look at 0:15) when shaun white grabs the picture and it crumbles in his hand and he throws it away. i would have a 1st person view so i would be looking at the back of their hand instead of a 3rd person view like in the HP commercial where i'm look at shaun instead of looking at what shaun would see (1st person)
        • 1. Re: CRUMBLE PAPER ON SCREEN EFFECT?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Well, without a 3D program that's almost impossible to pull off. In such programs you would use deformers, 3D displacement maps, modulated e.g. by the distance to the fingertips (via placeholder null objects for instance) and dynamics simulation to obtain the effect, which is probably also what they used in the clip you mentioned. At some point you would then add "invisible transitions" to a realworld printout that's all crumpled up and simply film the actor throw it away. you might get some of that going by using good ol' Shatter and Card Dance, but beyond that you will certainly have to find other options. Plugins that support simple deformations or displacment maps are e.g. the various Conoa effects or Avidions 3D-Layer plugin...

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: CRUMBLE PAPER ON SCREEN EFFECT?
            Level 1
            yeah that all sounds like it's out of my scope so i might have to find a way to do that another way, maybe i'll just have them 'grab the picture',freeze, i'll actually put the picture under their hand, unfreeze, and have them crumble it and throw it out. do you think that could work, i only ask because i don't have too much testing time to be honest this project has become a last minute dragged on affair.
            • 3. Re: CRUMBLE PAPER ON SCREEN EFFECT?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              Well, for continuous shots this may be tricky, but you might just come up with an creative excuse to do a jump-cut or speed-ramp cut. So you would film the pick-up of the cards, then fast-forward to a different point of view portraying your talent as it crumples up the paper.

Mylenium