9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2008 12:14 PM by Mylenium

Cant Drag or Paste a PSD file into AE CS3

Level 1
      have AE CS3 and Photoshop CS3 Extended

After hearing all about application integration...I want to drag an Open PSD graphic from Photoshop into After Effects. I thought it would be simple. Cant copy/paste it into the project bin....cant drag it into the project bin or timeline either...Whats UP?

I can save the file then import it...but im looking to work quick here.

What do I need to know??
      Thanks

Suzzie
        • 1. Re: Cant Drag or Paste a PSD file into AE CS3
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          >What do I need to know??

Nothing. The behavior is correct. You are misunderstanding some things here, I think. AE works with file references all the way. It has no such thing as its own pixel container format, so how should dragging a layer from PS allow it to store that info persistently? True, you could assume it would point to those funnily numbered temporary PSDs stored in your temp directory, but what happens if those disappear, due to a crash PS makes them useless or your temp directory is cleaned out? It's much more consistent and logical the way it is. It's just not particularly interactive or intuitive, if that's a way to put it. Also do not forget, that, even if it had a way of working, you'd still be stuck of AE not updating references that did not exist upon initial import, meaning you'd then have to add any new layers you create manually, still. Maybe on day this can be resolved, but in the meantime, stick with a different workflow and split your work into logical chunks when moving between the programs. For anything else:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Cant Drag or Paste a PSD file into AE CS3
            Level 1
            Nuts,

I was watching the marketing promotional materials and they were dragging a Premier file into After Effects... and then dragging it over to Encore... and then dragging Photoshop files right into Encore it seemed. All this stuff about pre-rendering doesnt work FROM photoshop I guess?

What you say makes operational sense...but the marketing stuff made it all seem so INTEGRATED. Maybe next time i'll have a Premier project instead!!

Does the Premier/After Effects/Encore use some kind of other temp mathodology so it can work?? I have the Master Suite...So I was thinking I got that Drag and Drop cabability as a special capability.
            • 3. Re: Cant Drag or Paste a PSD file into AE CS3
              The Premiere roundtrip is a whole 'notehr matter. It operates based on the project caches of these programs (which are persistent). Whenever you drag&drop a clip from Premiere, it will be added to Encores Transcode cache. Likewise, valid menu templates will be stored as a duplicate. It's really a different kind of beast.

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: Cant Drag or Paste a PSD file into AE CS3
                Level 1
                And they couldnt do that for a litle ole PSD file between all the applications???
                • 5. Re: Cant Drag or Paste a PSD file into AE CS3
                  Level 1
                  I think I can drag a psd file into dreamweaver if I remember correctly...but not After Effects?
                  • 6. Re: Cant Drag or Paste a PSD file into AE CS3
                    Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                    You can drag a PSD (or any source file) into After Effects' project window from any Finder (Mac) or Explorer (PC) Window, negating the need to actually use the Import dialog.
                    • 7. Re: Cant Drag or Paste a PSD file into AE CS3
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                      Instructions for importing files into After Effects are in the "Import footage items" section of After Effects Help on the Web. As Andrew says, there are ways to import by dragging into the Project panel.
                      • 8. Re: Cant Drag or Paste a PSD file into AE CS3
                        bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
                        but it ain't necessarily that direct or easy. You need to know the subtle yet huge differences between the copped options and the project options.

bogiesan
                        • 9. Re: Cant Drag or Paste a PSD file into AE CS3
                          >And they couldnt do that for a litle ole PSD file between all the >applications???

I'm not sure. The nice thing with AE is, that it applies this "external reference" principle to everything which in turn means that everything will automatically update whenever you open a project that points to a specific set of files. If you were to include additional data storage mechanisms and caches, you'd have to implement additional verification and checking as well and as evidenced by occasional mishaps happening in other applications (Encore working with outdated versions of menus, InDesign not updating images correctly etc.), this is not trivial at all. I therefore prefer the way it is now, even if it is somewhat simplistic and causes inconvenience on other ends...

Mylenium