9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2009 2:27 PM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

no avi in rendering output menue

I have installed trial version of after effects cs4, created a little project and exported it into avi and flash by using the render menue . Was not so happy with the result and tried to export it again. But to my surprise, nor avi nor flash was shown in the pull down menue anymore. Even when I created a new project, avi and flash are not shown. So I can not create an avi or flash file. Could this be because of the trail version or has somebody an idea how to solve this.
      Thanks and regards
      Franz
        • 1. Re: no avi in rendering output menue
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Please be more specific. What operating system? Any CoDec packs? Did you run system updates or install other software after the AE trial? There's a ton of possible reasons, but most likely installing another program (alternate video player, CoDec pack) messed up your media formats on a system wide level. Therefore uninstall those things first and see if it makes any difference.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: no avi in rendering output menue
            Level 1
            no other software were installed, no codec packs. Operating system Windows XP SP 3. As I said, it worked fine at the first export, but since then, avi and flash does not show up.
            Franz
            • 3. Re: no avi in rendering output menue
              dansch37 Level 2

Any answer on this?

I am also looking for an .AVI export. I'm on a mac w cs4 and am trying to export an .AVI (to be placed and used in powerpoint...on a pc)

but i see none Is it called something else on a mac? Is it not available on a mac since its a windows thing? I couldn't even find it in Adobe Media Encoder (AME) either.

• 4. Re: no avi in rendering output menue
                Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Franz: AVI should appear as "Video for Windows" in the format list. Isn't that option there? This on Windows only.

Dansch: There is a direct path to export AVI files from AE on Mac, but it's really not recommended. But, a very easy way is exporting a Quicktime file, opening it in Quicktime Pro and go to File > Export > Movie to AVI. Unfortunately, the available codecs will most likely create a file which is too large and heavy to use in a Powerpoint presentation, or uses a very old and inefficient compression. For that kind of use (ie, embedding video in Office applications), you want something like Windows Media, not AVI. You can make Windows Media files from Quicktime Pro or other Quicktime compatible applications by adding the Flip4Mac endoder.

• 5. Re: no avi in rendering output menue
                  dansch37 Level 2

Sounds like a headache. I still have to do it. Thanks for the leads.

• 6. Re: no avi in rendering output menue
                    dansch37 Level 2

Is there any other ways to do this? How about Sorensen? Does that make .AVIs? How about quicktime to PPT. I read that it accepts them but do you advise that as a way to get video from AE into PPT?

• 7. Re: no avi in rendering output menue

The problem is not making AVIs. But how few of the AVI codecs are available via Quicktime on a Mac (actually, that's a problem for AVI in general). You would end up with a file too large for a Powerpoint presentation. A third party encoding solution won't add more AVI codecs on Mac.

Flip4Mac will let you encode WMV files just as easily (from QT Pro), and the resulting file will be better suited for using in a Powerpoint presentation.

How about quicktime to PPT. I read that it accepts them but do you advise that as a way to get video from AE into PPT?

I think that works on Mac versions of Powerpoint. Not on the Windows version. I don't know that much about Powerpoint, though.

• 8. Re: no avi in rendering output menue
                        dansch37 Level 2

ok, so looks like I have to buy qt pro and flip for mac. thank you for the answer.

• 9. Re: no avi in rendering output menue

I understand the "Pro" features in Quicktime Player (like exporting files) will be free in Snow Leopard. So, it's up to you deciding if you want to hold that purchase.