4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2008 1:33 PM by (XL)

Placeholder flashing in on Quicktimes

Level 1
      The following problem appears from time to time, when I render with "Use multiple Processors" enabled:
      Layers with Quicktime Footage randomly render as placeholers on single frames (as if the file is missing). As soon as I disable the MP option, the problem is gone - but I'm also back to dualcore speed wich isn't exactly to my liking.

I remember having this problem before but I hoped it was gone with the 8.0.2 update.

I'm on AE 8.0.2, MacOS 10.5.5, 8 core MacPro, Quicktime 7.5.5
        • 1. Re: Placeholder flashing in on Quicktimes
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          How much RAM do you have and what's your disk setup? Such issues point to bottleneck situations where the footage cannot be properly loaded by all the instances. This issue is mostly unrelated to AE and merely a resource problem in QT itself. Only fast disks and lots of memory help to overcome it.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Placeholder flashing in on Quicktimes
            Level 1
            10 Gigs of RAM (AE is set to use 4 CPUs)
            Standard SATA Drives - no Raid

There are only two Quicktimes and a bunch of stills involved in this project - can't imagine that disk performance is the bottleneck here.
            • 3. Re: Placeholder flashing in on Quicktimes
              Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee
              Are you using QuickTime reference movies? When you open the project are any of the movies offline?

There were some bugs related to these areas, some of which didn't get fixed until After Effects CS4.

If you do have missing footage, relink them on project open then save, close, and reopen the project. If you're using reference movies, make sure that all of the referenced files are present and accounted for.

Sometimes changing the project settings or a project-related preference will cause After Effects to reload the files and kick it into gear.
              • 4. Re: Placeholder flashing in on Quicktimes
                Level 1
                No footage is missing and no reference Quicktimes are used. The placeholder just flickers in on a few random frames of the rendering - without multiprocessor rendering all renders fine.