3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2008 8:07 AM by bogiesan-gyyClL

CC particle world expression: link to title position

Level 1
      Hi there,

All I'm simply wondering is how to link the cc particle world producer position points to the position of a title I want the particles to follow. I tried pick whipping the producer position x to the title position and the following expression (on the position x of producer in cc particle world) was created:

thisComp.layer("TEXT").transform.position[0]

This makes the particles disappear.

Any ideas as to why this is happening. In the Andrew Krammer tutorial I am following it works for him, although he is using particular.

Thanks heaps!
      Brad
        • 1. Re: CC particle world expression: link to title position
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Positions in CC Particle World are proportional values. direct pickwhipping will never work. Something like this would:

rPosX=thisComp.layer("Test").transform.position[0];

linear(rPosX,0,thisComp.width,-1,1)

It will still not align perfectly, though, since CCPW does not respect the comp camera, so fiddling with the Distance and FOv parameters will be required.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: CC particle world expression: link to title position
            Level 1
            Thanks heaps, it doesn't work but I'll figure out something else!
            • 3. Re: CC particle world expression: link to title position
              bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3
              > All I'm simply wondering is how to link the cc particle world producer position points to the position of a title I want the particles to follow. I tried pick whipping the producer position x to the title position and the following expression (on the position x of producer in cc particle world) was created:
              thisComp.layer("TEXT").transform.position[0]
              This makes the particles disappear. <

I use PW often to track other layers. I do not use an expression, though, I just parent the emitter to the motion path or mask shape/position. I am most often outlining text objects or doing the ol' laser carving in combination with Shatter. in that case, I parent the Shatter force sphere to a null that is tracing the outline path and parent the PW emitter to the same null. Easy and direct and very cliché.

bogiesan