4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2008 12:13 PM by (Laer)

Forced to use all the same versions in suite?

Just wondering... If you are using the suite, are you forced to use all the same versions (ex CS3) of each of the programs in the suite? For example, if you want to upgrade to the CS4 suite (from CS3), but want to keep AfterEffects back at CS3.
        • 1. Re: Forced to use all the same versions in suite?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          No problem there. You are allowed to leave old versions on your disk and what you use is your own decision. Some things just won't work, like using dynamic link between different versions of e.g. Encore and AE. and naturally for tools like Bridge, references will be set to CS4, so applying presets from there and that sort of thing will break.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Forced to use all the same versions in suite?
            Level 1
            Interesting... I wasn't expecting that (the ability to keep old versions). That's a pleasant surprise.

So, would you (in this example) keep your CS3 version on the drive, then just install (effectively update) only the CS4 items you want? I had thought that even thought you only install the programs you want, the CS3 items (in this example) would not be accepted into the new 'suite' (so, would just sit dormant on your drive). If I didn't install AE CS4 (for example), when installing my CS4 suite upgrade, only the CS4 items I DID install would be accessable.

Well, if that's not the case, I'm very pleasantly surprised. Is that really the case?
            • 3. Re: Forced to use all the same versions in suite?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              No, this should be no problem. This is even in the license agreement. Direct copy & paste from the CS4 legal blurb (extract):

5. Updates.

If the Software is an upgrade or update to a previous version of Adobe software, you must possess a valid license to such previous version in order to use such upgrade or update. After you install such update or upgrade, you may continue to use any such previous version in accordance with its end-user license agreement...

The products remain their separate "suite" as mentioned previously with the limitations in interoparability I pointed out. The CS4 installer itself will not deactivate, delete or modify any CS3 products, only older Acrobat versions will be fully replaced by v9.

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: Forced to use all the same versions in suite?
                Level 1
                Excellent. Thanks for your help on that...