3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2008 8:19 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Question about AE CS3 swf output

Level 1
      I'm curious about something... I know that obviously using bitmap elements within a scene will not convert to vectors (so, for each bitmap you use in a scene, you lose out on the file size efficiency that vectors give you).

However, I'm confused and curious about what/how AE creates swf files from your scene.

Text, made in AE, will obviously convert fine (stay vectors)...

Beyond that, I'm not sure what things convert fine to the swf vectors, and what becomes bitmapped (or, for whatever reason, become detrimental to the efficiency of the swf file.

1) Could someone outline what does and doesn't maintain it's efficient vector format when converted to an swf in AE CS3?

2) What about illustrator files brought into AE? Are they treated the same as vectors created in Flash (keeping their vector form even when animated and the scene is exported as an swf)?

3) If I use a bitmapped background, but all foreground elements are vectors, does the swf just store the bg once (adds to the file size), but then has no other detrimental effect to the file size?

Any other words of wisdom on the subject would also be appreciated!

Thanks...
        • 1. Re: Question about AE CS3 swf output
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          >1) Could someone outline what does and doesn't maintain it's efficient >vector format when converted to an swf in AE CS3?

Masks on solids; text layers; Radio Waves, Path Text, Audio Waveform, and Audio Spectrum effects; Illustrator files

>2) What about illustrator files brought into AE? Are they treated the
          >same as vectors created in Flash (keeping their vector form even when
          >animated and the scene is exported as an swf)?

Under the right conditions - yes.

>3) If I use a bitmapped background, but all foreground elements are
          >vectors, does the swf just store the bg once (adds to the file
          >size), but then has no other detrimental effect to the file size?

If the bg is a static image, it should.

For more info check here:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103a4f2dff7-79caa.htm l

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Question about AE CS3 swf output
            Level 1
            Thanks. Will unsupported features simply be bitmapped and add to the file size, or ignored and not appear?
            • 3. Re: Question about AE CS3 swf output
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8
              > Will unsupported features simply be bitmapped and add to
              > the file size, or ignored and not appear?

You can choose, as described in the "Render and export a composition as a SWF file" section of After Effects Help.

"You can choose to ignore these unsupported items so that the SWF file includes only the After Effects features that can be converted into native SWF elements, or you can choose to rasterize frames that contain unsupported features and add them to the SWF file as JPEG-compressed bitmap images, which may reduce the efficiency of the SWF file."