2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2008 7:18 AM by (Ben_Marshall)

AE CS4 Extreme Performance Issues

Hi there,

We recently upgraded from After Effects 7, running on a PPC G5, to AE CS4, running on an intel Mac Pro, 8 core 2.8 Xeon with 6GB of RAM. I was looking forward to the (obvious, it seemed) vast performance increase - not only moving to the latest After Effects with its multi-processor optimisation, but to the latest Mac too. What I am experiencing is pretty unexpected.

The general speed of the application is shockingly slow. Everything I press (tabs, check boxes, buttons, files in the project manager, everything), has about a second to a second and a half lag. I'm used to clicking around really quickly, but this is impossible now, I have to keep pausing to wait for the program to catch up. Rendering a has slowed to a crawl and woe betide I try to scrub the timeline!

On the machine with AE 7, I can render a 20 sec movie with a couple of MPEGs in the timeline in a minute or so. I just watched AE CS4 take 25 minutes to do the same thing. It's not just the rendering, as I mentioned before, it's just the general sluggishness. Is there something I'm missing? I have tried all the seemingly relevant settings relating to memory management, but nothing seems to fix the issue.

Anyone had similar problems? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, as I don't want to have to go back to using AE 7.

Cheers
        • 1. Re: AE CS4 Extreme Performance Issues
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          It sounds like something is definitely wrong with your system or its configuration.

Work your way through this list for starters:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WSF13D6BED-C53B-408a-B2D6-C8B4205D4FB7a.html# WSD918A334-8F98-47f8-99AD-90DC59F57908a

Please post back with your results.
          • 2. Re: AE CS4 Extreme Performance Issues
            Level 1
            I enabled 'Hardware Accelerate Compostion, Layer, and Footage Panels' in Display settings, then did a system restart. It indeed seems to have helped, although I can't say whether it was the hardware acceleration or the restart. I will keep an eye on it, see if the problems start again.

Thanks for the help though, it's nice not having to pause every time I click something :)