4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2008 11:04 PM by Mylenium

New 3D tools opinions?

XxMontyxX Level 1
      Anyone using the new AE 3D object import tools care to comment on them?
        • 1. Re: New 3D tools opinions?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Well, it's okay, but nothing earth-shattering. If you read this article http://mylenium.de/_static_pages/cs4_ps_live_3d_en/cs4_live_3d_a.html , you should be able to more properly gauge things. In short: If the geometry is simple enough and you have a controlled scenario where either the object is static and only the camera moves or the other way around, the camera is mostly static and the object(s) move, it is possible to use and create a good illusion. In other cases the required workarounds for setting up lighting, getting realistic shadows, assuring alignment and correct obscuration and last not least the performance limitations with "heavy" geometry will kill you.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: New 3D tools opinions?
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
            I can't see any practical reason to use the new 3D feature in my workflow. I'd certainly choose Zaxwerks 3D Invigorator first in any situation I can think of.

It's two greatest flaws, in my view, are (1) the need to create in PS rather than directly in AE, and (2) the lack of simple text extrusion. Had it provided basic 3D text creation it would have made a lot more sense.

In it's current form, I see it as a little experimental, and just a bit of a preview of what will no doubt develop into a very powerful tool in the future.
            • 3. Re: New 3D tools opinions?
              Navarro Parker Level 3
              How about the new unified camera? Has CS4 also eliminated the annoying pasteboard borders when using top/right/left 3d views?
              • 4. Re: New 3D tools opinions?
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                Unified camera? What's that? *cough* ;-) Na, it is still the same old stuff and simply plugging on an alternate way of navigating like in Maya doesn't make it any better. Personally I've never even liked that when I was still using the program and changed the shortcuts... Anyway, the old issue remains: Until AE (and all other Adobe programs for that matter) get a proper native 3D space with supporting mechanisms, all such features will forever be what they really are - an illusion of 3D popped on top of what essentially remains 2D-centric workflows.

Mylenium