4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2008 8:02 AM by (raymond_setzer)

Adding Speech Bubbles to Videos?

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but hopefully someone will be able to help me!!!

I've agreed to edit a video for work, which is an entry to a competition. I have access to one of the office copies of Adobe CS3, and so am tinkering with all the tools.

What I want to be able to do is to add some speech bubbles to the video, enabling some funny comments to be made in the "thoughts" of those in the video. I've heard this is possible using Photoshop and After Effects, however I'm unsure how to do this. If anyone can help with a tutorial, or point me in the direction by way of a web-link that can teach me what I need to know, I'd be very grateful!

Many thanks everyone.

Neil
        • 1. Re: Adding Speech Bubbles to Videos?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8
          This should be easy in After Effects. Make the speech balloons as separate layers. Place these layers on top of your video. Animate the positons of these layers. If you want to get fancy, you can use motion tracking to do this animation automatically, attaching the speech balloons to the moving heads.

I don't know what your level of familiarity is with After Effects, so I'm not sure what level of instruction to give.

If you're brand new to After Effects, I recommend working your way through the "Basic workflow tutorial" and the first couple of items in the "Getting started" section on the After Effects Help and Support page. Then come back with specific questions.
          • 2. Re: Adding Speech Bubbles to Videos?
            Ko Maruyama User Group Manager
            Shape Layers are a perfect speech balloon tool. (check out the repeater options)
            You may also want to check out AE's Layer Styles for beveling and advanced fill options
            • 3. Re: Adding Speech Bubbles to Videos?
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
              And most importantly, don't use Comic Sans. :-)
              • 4. Re: Adding Speech Bubbles to Videos?
                Level 1
                Neil_Irwin@adobeforums.com wrote:
                > Hi all,
                >
                > Not sure if this is the correct forum, but hopefully someone will be able to help me!!!
                >
                > I've agreed to edit a video for work, which is an entry to a competition. I have access to one of the office copies of Adobe CS3, and so am tinkering with all the tools.
                >
                > What I want to be able to do is to add some speech bubbles to the video, enabling some funny comments to be made in the "thoughts" of those in the video. I've heard this is possible using Photoshop and After Effects, however I'm unsure how to do this. If anyone can help with a tutorial, or point me in the direction by way of a web-link that can teach me what I need to know, I'd be very grateful!
                >
                > Many thanks everyone.
                >
                > Neil

You can do this in Premiere as well. Word Balloon goes on new video
                track above the footage, text above that and size and position tweaked
                to fit in balloon. j

I recall doing tricks like then when I first stated so its a project
                suitable for a beginner. I googled up free speech balloon and this
                popped up with a large variety of free ones.

http://www.fundraw.com/clipart/categories/Clip_Art_Shapes/00000078