7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2008 7:17 AM by Andrew Yoole

new MacBook Pro disabled keystrokes! HELP!

Hi there, folks

After upgrading to the new MacBook Pro and and the Leopard operating system I can no longer use the keyboard keystrokes that replicated hitting the 0 or asterix on the number pad. It used to be fn+m for ram preview and fn+j for marking during playback, but now when I click those buttons nothing happens. Is there some setting in osX I have to change?

Thanks for your help!

Best,
      Fredo
        • 1. Re: new MacBook Pro disabled keystrokes! HELP!
          Level 1
          Yeah, there have been past threads about this. Sucks. I don't think anyone found an easy way around it.
          • 2. Re: new MacBook Pro disabled keystrokes! HELP!
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
            For some bizarre reason, Apple have removed Numpad functionality from all their current portables. It can be worked around by creating custom key shortcuts, but I recommend buying a USB or wireless numeric keypad. I actually carry an Apple Bluetooth keyboard (the old white kind) to jobs where I'm using my MBP on site.
            • 3. Re: new MacBook Pro disabled keystrokes! HELP!
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              You will have to use the methods the others described or assign new shortcuts by editing the respective shortcut pref file. This can be done manually or using the KeyEd Up script found at Adobe Exchange.

Mylenium
              • 4. Re: new MacBook Pro disabled keystrokes! HELP!
                Level 1
                Goodness, wow! REALLY????! What the hell were they thinking?

Mylenium, do you have experience with using the KeyEd Up script? I'm always afraid to make alterations to the OS. Is it safe?

I think my best bet is to get the keypad, as Andrew Yoole suggested. But, ugh... what a lame thing!
                • 5. Re: new MacBook Pro disabled keystrokes! HELP!
                  Level 1
                  Andrew, are you a mac user? I am. But I'm having trouble finding a numeric keypad that offers mac support. Many say they support mac, but reading reviews from mac users, they actually don't offer full support and some buttons won't work or you have to work hard to make the pad show up. If you have a model you know works, please let me know. And actually, I'm thinking it would probably be best to get a pad that is also a usb hub, if there's one for mac...
                  • 6. Re: new MacBook Pro disabled keystrokes! HELP!
                    A. Cobb Level 3
                    I haven't used it myself, but if you have an iPhone or an iPod Touch, there is a neat $2 app that turns it into a wireless numeric keypad. The catch is that it only works over WiFi.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=291672903&mt=8
                    • 7. Re: new MacBook Pro disabled keystrokes! HELP!
                      Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                      I'll reiterate my vote for a whole replacement keyboard. I have a semi-regular gig where I go to a client's office with my MacBook Pro and do AE work onsite for a day-at-a-time. Without numpad functionality, the MBP keyboard is basically useless in AE, and I'm not prepared to reassign and re-learn a kajillion keystrokes just to get a day's work done.

I used to use a logitech USB numeric keypad, which had all the extra keys like PgUp/PgDwn etc.

But a local store was selling the older white Apple Bluetooth keyboards (not the newer silver ones, which now have no numpad either - somebody at Apple is seriously on drugs) for US$35 each. I bought a couple and use one via Bluetooth on my MBP. Because it's the same keyboard I use on my desktop machines, it makes my work environment identical.

Not the best solution in the world, but one that has, frankly, been forced on me by Apple. They simply aren't considering applications like AE (or ProTools, or a bunch of other Pro apps) when they ditch such basic functionality.