5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2008 5:18 AM by Andrew Yoole

Masks

Level 1
      I having great difficulty understanding Masks. I wish to create a Mask
      so that I can isolate the subject from the rest of his body. I have used the pen tool to draw a mask around the persons head. My problem is how do I now select the head and insert into another Composition so I am left with head only on the foreground and not the head just looking through a hole in the Compositions background.

Any help would be appreciated
      Eugene
        • 1. Re: Masks
          Level 1
          EUGENE_DOWDALL@adobeforums.com wrote:
          > I having great difficulty understanding Masks. I wish to create a Mask
          > so that I can isolate the subject from the rest of his body. I have used the pen tool to draw a mask around the persons head. My problem is how do I now select the head and insert into another Composition so I am left with head only on the foreground and not the head just looking through a hole in the Compositions background.
          >
          > Any help would be appreciated
          > Eugene

Look for the little "Invert" checkbox in the mask properties.
          • 2. Re: Masks
            Level 1
            Thank you Raymond good point which I missed.
            Cheers
            Eugene
            • 3. Re: Masks
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
              You can also change the mask mode from Add to Subtract with the same result.
              • 4. Re: Masks
                Level 1
                Thank you Andrew for you interest. I still have difficulty using masks to isolate the subject from the background. I was hoping that Masks would work like making a selection in Photography. I appear to be missing some basic point.

Eugene
                • 5. Re: Masks
                  Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                  So long as the mask shape is closed (ie the start point links to the finish point) then the content of the mask will be visible (in Add mode) or invisible (in Subtract mode).

If you don't close your mask paths, the entire layer will remain visible at all times.