9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2008 7:57 AM by (raymond_setzer)

A Few Very General Questions

Level 1
      Hello,
      I'm experienced with premiere pro and am just getting started with After Effects. But I have a few questions first, and can't seem to find the answers.

-At what point in the post production process should one use After Effects. The title caused me to think I should use it after I've done all the editing I could do in Premiere, but I was looking over a tutorial in which someone recommended cutting out segments of your project in Premiere and editing, then reimporting. Perhaps it doesn't matter.. I'm not sure. But doing it all after I'm done with Premiere sounds most appealing.

-With this extra program I'm importing to/exporting from, should I worry about image quality? For example, I export my final project from Premiere into After Effects, then do some editing, then export that. Doesn't this mean loss of quality? Or... how does that work? Or is it better to just import it into AE as a project rather than a video file?

-Lastly, I'm trying to figure out the name of where you have an object that automatically tracks in a video onto some pixels. For example, you make some sunglasses and have it "attach" to someone's face as it memorizes the pixels that it should stay on, as the camera moves around.

I really appreciate the help!
        • 1. Re: A Few Very General Questions
          Level 1
          After Effects is used to create, composite or compile a shot or short sequence. A NLE like Premiere or Final Cut is used to assemble shots or sequences into a story. It may help to think of AE as the right tool for complex shots and sequences while PPro is the right tool for combining shots and scenes into a completed story.

After Effects is best at assembling a bunch of elements into a shot (compositing) or animating text and graphics. You have much more control over these individual elements than you do in a NLE. While the line is blurring a bit as NLE's become more capable but there will be a need for a specialized app for a long time to come.

After Effects is also used for final color grading by many. There are more tools available in AE to control and manipulate at the pixel level than you find in any NLE.
          • 2. Re: A Few Very General Questions
            Level 1
            I appreciate the help.

Now if I export my footage at 100 quality from premiere, import it into AE, edit, and export back into Premiere in order to fit it into my Premiere project, then Export the finished project from Premiere, would I have any quality loss on that one clip that I had edited in AE?

I would think that is the easiest way to go about things- just export all the small parts of my project that require special editing as video files, import into AE, edit, export as another video file, then import that video file into Premiere. But I'm just afraid of quality loss... should I be?
            • 3. Re: A Few Very General Questions
              craulmedia Level 1
              Adobe Products have Integrated Workflows that stick to each other. Means, you can copy, paste clips, groups, nested sequences, inport/export projects inbetween AE & PPr. Check out the Features in the Livedocs section.
              • 4. Re: A Few Very General Questions
                Level 1
                Thanks for the help...

I have only found a need for a few things from AE, one of them is motion tracking. I'm doing a tutorial where I import a picture and motion track it. Problem is, when I import the pic, I can't seem to increase the length of time the picture stays on the time line. Can anyone tell me how to do this please?

Thanks again
                • 5. Re: A Few Very General Questions
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                  For general information about using Premiere Pro and After Effects together, see the "Working with Premiere Pro and After Effects" section of After Effects Help.

> Problem is, when I import the pic, I can't seem to increase the
                  > length of time the picture stays on the time line.

If I'm understanding correctly, you just want to increase the duration of a layer based on a still image footage item---i.e., extend a layer. If that's so, then see the "Trim, extend, or slip-edit a layer" section of After Effects Help.
                  • 6. Re: A Few Very General Questions
                    Level 1
                    I appreciate the help. But the problem I'm having is that the layer doesn't extend when I attempt to drag it. Then, when I try and increase it's duration via Time Stretch, it lets me go up to 10000% but no more.. when actually I need it to be more like 20,000% of it's original length.

I'm not sure what the problem is as I had another image I was working with in AE and I could extend its duration across the timeline as much as I wanted.
                    • 7. Re: A Few Very General Questions
                      Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                      It sounds like you've imported a still image as an image sequence. Reimport it and make sure the "image sequence" checkbox is not ticked in the import dialog.
                      • 8. Re: A Few Very General Questions
                        Level 1
                        Simple. I appreciate it!
                        • 9. Re: A Few Very General Questions
                          Level 1
                          derek_hammer@adobeforums.com wrote:
                          > Hello, I'm experienced with premiere pro and am just getting started
                          > with After Effects. But I have a few questions first, and can't seem
                          > to find the answers.
                          >
                          > -At what point in the post production process should one use After
                          > Effects. The title caused me to think I should use it after I've done
                          > all the editing I could do in Premiere, but I was looking over a
                          > tutorial in which someone recommended cutting out segments of your
                          > project in Premiere and editing, then reimporting. Perhaps it doesn't
                          > matter.. I'm not sure. But doing it all after I'm done with Premiere
                          > sounds most appealing.
                          >
                          > -With this extra program I'm importing to/exporting from, should I
                          > worry about image quality? For example, I export my final project
                          > from Premiere into After Effects, then do some editing, then export
                          > that. Doesn't this mean loss of quality? Or... how does that work? Or
                          > is it better to just import it into AE as a project rather than a
                          > video file?

In CS3, you have the ability to use dynamic links to have AE projects
                          and or Comps show up as footage items in Premiere, and in CS4, they have
                          expanded the dynamic links so that Premiere footage can be sent to AE
                          via dynamic links. This is done without any intermediate rendering, and
                          any changes you make to footage in one app will be represented in the
                          other. This integration is an excellent feature and the main reason I
                          choose AE and Premiere over the Final Cut package.

> -Lastly, I'm trying to figure out the name of where you have an
                          > object that automatically tracks in a video onto some pixels. For
                          > example, you make some sunglasses and have it "attach" to someone's
                          > face as it memorizes the pixels that it should stay on, as the camera
                          > moves around.
                          >
                          > I really appreciate the help!