1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 7, 2008 8:10 AM by Mylenium

Create sunlight behind object effect!?

Hi!

I am looking for a way to create a sunlike effect. Having a 3D comp and I want to create the illusion of the sun appearing behind buildings. Casting shadows would be a cool asset but the light it self is mainly what I am after.

I read this tutorial http://library.creativecow.net/articles/armstrong_trent/lensflare.php - but I can not seem to figure out how to do it with 3D layers.

Any pointers, tutorial or tips would be great.
        • 1. Re: Create sunlight behind object effect!?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          You could just pre-compose the 3D-comp and apply your lensflare as a 2D comp effect. This would be the simplest way to approach the issue. if you wanna tie in the lensflare with a 3D light, you need layer space transforms:

light3D=thisComp.layer("Sunlight");
          light2D=light3D.toComp([0,0,0]);

This will however not take care of the fading, since sampleImage() works 2D only, so you would need to base your obscuration on the 2D distance to a given surface point. This involves some hocuspocus and even more layer space conversion, so I recommend you combine the 2 techniques: Use my code to reference your 3D light, but have the lensflare in your flattened 2D comp or as an adjustment layer.

Mylenium