2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2008 7:54 AM by Mylenium

Editing Video

This is probably an obvious question, but I thought I'd ask it anyway....

Do I have to edit all video in another application like Final Cut Pro or iMovie before importing it to After Effects?

Say, if I want to chop up the video to fit pieces of it at various locations in my movie so it matches up with the music track I'm working with? And then import those video pieces and place them as desired?
        • 1. Re: Editing Video
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8
          You can do some very basic video editing in After Effects, but for anything beyond a few very simple edits, you'll probably be better off using an NLE (non-linear editor) like Premiere Pro.

Here's a link to a section of After Effects Help that describes some of the basic editing features in After Effects:

"Trim, extend, or slip-edit a layer"

And here's a link to the Premiere Pro Help document:

"Basic workflow in Premiere Pro"

After Effects and Premiere Pro are very tightly integrated, so moving video from one to the other is rather easy and effective. See "Working with Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects".
          • 2. Re: Editing Video
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            Hehe, I've "edited" half hour pieces in AE... :-) It's absolutely possible, but as Todd said, using an NLE such as FCP or Premiere is usually preferable, especially if your work needs to include audio, which until this day AE does not play realtime. It's also a matter of what footage types you use. I can e.g. perfectly work interactively with my home camera HDV stuff, as apparently MediaCore likes it, but if I had "the wrong camera", the situation would possibly be a different one. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

Mylenium