6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2009 2:13 PM by Navarro Parker

Legal to buy off site like E-Bay?

I want to know if it is perfectly legal to buy CS3 from a site like e-bay from a previous user of the product?
        • 1. Re: Legal to buy off site like E-Bay?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Yes. In case the user has registered his product with Adobe, you need to fill out a special "Transfer of Adobe License" form and send it to customer support to change your registration data. If he never bothered, it's simply a merchant deal as any other. Just be careful, there's many shady things going on at eBay...

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: Legal to buy off site like E-Bay?
            Level 1
            Jason_Lemon@adobeforums.com wrote:
            > I want to know if it is perfectly legal to buy CS3 from a site like
            > e-bay from a previous user of the product?

Yes....But.....The EULA says you may transfer the product providing you
            transfer everything. And when they say 'everything' they mean
            everything, disks, manuals, UPGRADES ect. In other words, if someone
            wants to sell you their Adobe CS3 suite, they must sell you everything
            Adobe Suite XX they have. (There has been a court case Adobe lost with
            regard to reselling uninstalled software from bundle, such as CS3, in
            parts, but that is not specific to this question.)

Now, not being born yesterday, there is a reason to suspect that this
            copy of CS3 may suddenly be avail for a nice price because the seller
            has a shiny new CS4 on their computer. If this is the case, then, no,
            its violates the EULA.

Is it your job to take extraordinary steps to ensure the transfer is
            strictly according to the EULA? Probably not, but on the other hand, its
            not Adobe's job to bend over backwards to accommodate you if it turns
            out not to be the case.

While the consequences would unlikely be a flock of Adobe ninja's
            swooping down on you, you may find problems with support or seeking an
            upgrade path of your own.
            • 3. Re: Legal to buy off site like E-Bay?
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
              As the others have mentioned, yes it can be legal, but it may not be too!

I would demand the seller actually supply original proof of purchase, and proof of completing the "Adobe Transfer Of License" form if necessary, before I paid in full.
              • 4. Re: Legal to buy off site like E-Bay?
                teetime17 Level 1
                Andrew, I am wishing to sell an unused AE7 via Ebay and am trying to figure out the right process. You comment here that the the buyer should demand the seller supply original proof of purchase and proof of completing the "Adobe Transfer of License" form. What do you mean by proof of completing the TOL? It looks to me like the TOL requires signatures from both the buyer and seller. Or, is there (hopefully) a way to procedurally complete the TOL before the seller is known?

Thanks,

Jerry
                • 5. Re: Legal to buy off site like E-Bay?
                  Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                  You are correct that both signatures are required on the TOL form. Personally, as a purchaser, I would pay the seller a deposit, then have both parties complete the TOL paperwork and get confirmation from Adobe before paying the full amount. They process it pretty quickly. That way you've confirmed the license is legitimate, and that you now own it, before full payment is made.
                  • 6. Re: Legal to buy off site like E-Bay?
                    Navarro Parker Level 3
                    You can also use Ebay's Escrow service, escrow.com and use paypal for the maximum amount of CYA.