3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2008 4:31 PM by (Rick_Gerard)

random numbers

Dan Jacobsen Level 1
      hi all,

hopefully really simple one, but can you limit the text animation that shifts the ascii code to keep within just numbers? and also just binary numbers?

so, i want to have paragraphs of numbers (or just binary) randomly changing but keeping there kerning correct.

cheers
        • 1. Re: random numbers
          Level 1
          To fix the kerning problem you need to use a monospaced font.

The simplest way to do this would be to use two instances of your paragraph. The first would be the final paragraph of text. Then I'd create a second text layer where you type in just the numbers with the same spacing as the text. IOW, for the work random you'd type 567891 (any 6 numbers).

Then I'd animate the character offset value to make the numbers change, animate the range selector to get them to stop changing and turn off their visibility with transparency, and then tie the range selector of the paragraph of numbers to the range selector of the paragraph of text to reveal the text using opacity.

This will be much easer to fake with two layers than to create with expressions.
          • 2. Re: random numbers
            Dan Jacobsen Level 1
            thanks, i'll give that a go. unfortunately i can't use a monospaced font as it has to be the channel's main font.

also, i'm not sure if i explained myself properly: i only wanted numbers changing, never letters. i don't know if that makes a difference?

cheers
            • 3. Re: random numbers
              Level 1
              If you can't use a monospaced font you'll have to place each number on a separate layer. Otherwise the kerning will jump all over the place.