6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2008 8:16 AM by Mylenium

AE7 and Vista 64 bit

teetime17 Level 1
      I recently upgraded to a new PC with Vista 64 bit. I transfered and activated my AE7 Pro on this new PC, and AE won't start up. I need AE but would prefer to wait to upgrade AE when it becomes a 64 bit application. My questions are:

1. Does AE7 actually run on Vista 64 bit? IOW, do I just have an install or configuration problem?

2. If AE7 doesn't run on Vista 64 bit, does CS3, or will I need to go to CS4?

3. Do CS3 and CS4 AE include Keylight and Cycore plugins? I use these regularly and would hate to lose that functionality.

Jerry
        • 1. Re: AE7 and Vista 64 bit
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          AE7 should run on Vista 64 - with limitations. However, as an unsigned legacy app, it may be interfering with UAC, DEP and all other such stuff, so I'd look into that. Be aware however, that this is as unofficial as it gets - Adobe does not provide any support for AE7 on Vista, no matter on 64bit or 32bit. CS3 was designed and tested with Vista in mind, but only CS4 actually behaves fully (and if you upgraded, you'd buy that version anyway). The CC effects and Keylight are included.

Mylenium
          • 2. Re: AE7 and Vista 64 bit
            teetime17 Level 1
            Well, I may have to upgrade to CS4 because I'm still not able to get AE7 to work with my Vista 64 bit. I have read posts from others that do have it running, so I'll update you here in case anyone can suggest something I have missed.

Here's what I have tried:

1. Set Vista to run AE7 in Windows XP compatibility mode
            2. Turned off Antivirus
            3. Turned off Aero
            4. Turned off DEP for all but Windows critical components
            5. Verified that I am at the latest point release (AE 7.01)

When I attempt to run AE7 Vista throws the following error information:

Problem signature:
            Problem Event Name: BEX
            Application Name: AfterFX.exe
            Application Version: 7.0.128.11
            Application Timestamp: 44f66a2d
            Fault Module Name: StackHash_e52f
            Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
            Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
            Exception Offset: 00000000
            Exception Code: c0000005
            Exception Data: 00000008
            OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
            Locale ID: 1033
            Additional Information 1: e52f
            Additional Information 2: e98dfca8bcf81bc1740adb135579ad53
            Additional Information 3: 860f
            Additional Information 4: 6eabdd9e0dc94904be3b39a1c0583635

Thanks,
            Jerry
            • 3. Re: AE7 and Vista 64 bit
              David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2
              When you installed AE7, did you run Setup as an admin? Right click Setup.exe and Run As Adminstrator. Dunno if that'll fix your problem, but it's a good habit to get into.
              • 4. Re: AE7 and Vista 64 bit
                teetime17 Level 1
                David, I was logged in as administrator which I assume is the same. Correct me if I am wrong.
                • 6. Re: AE7 and Vista 64 bit
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                  BEX is a binary execution error, but since your timestamp and offset info is empty, it crashes right away and doesn't even load into memory. Whatever the reason - it is certainly severe. I just cannot provide any more clues.... Sorry.

Mylenium